iWeb vs Rapidweaver - Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by EvryDayImShufln, Sep 24, 2008.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hi guys,

I would have done a search for my specific questions, but I didnt really know what to search.

I made a website using iWeb, and I heard Rapidweaver was much better, so I bought that too. The thing is, I love how iWeb just takes some dragging and rearranging to make a website, which I cannot seem to figure out in Rapidweaver. I just want a blank page set up like iWeb does it, and I'll drag my images around to set up the page (by images, I mean backdrops, buttons, etc, essentially all my content). Am I missing something?

Thanks alot for all your help in advance

Ah **** I screwed this one up, please if a mod sees this move this to the web forum! thx!

2. nickph17 macrumors newbie

nickph17

I've not used rapid weaver but i think you need the Blocks plug-in to make it more like a wysiwyg. Check it out here.

http://www.yourhead.com/blocks/

It looks like the whole suite of plug-ins looks useful and they sell them as a bundle. Hopefully someone can give you some more info. Also, this comparison comes up a lot so you may want to search the forums.

Nick

3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Go with Rapidweaver it's far better than iWeb IMHO and it has better plugins and theme development.

4. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I read that everywhere, but I can't figure out how to set up webpages using RapidWeaver as in iWeb (aka drag and drop stuff). I don't need their themes, I have my own layout for my website.

5. nickph17 macrumors newbie

nickph17

The link i gave you previously is a plug-in which adds that functionality to rapidweaver. all you can do with rapid weaver without it is insert text and some photos.

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Thanks for posting that link nickph17, I was considering buying RW because it seemed like a mix of DW and iWeb for Mac, and I would have been twitching without knowing about that plugin. Great advice, important, too. Thanks again.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Blocks is brilliant, really it makes RW into a cheap version off DW. :cool:

8. loofa macrumors newbie

9. andreasfmpro macrumors newbie

RapidWeaver

What you are asking is exactly what most reasonable people want from RapidWeaver. Unfortunately, after 4 versions and countless updates, RapidWeaver has not delivered. Incredibly, none of the RapidWeaver experts in the app's support forums want to admit it is the single most serious limitation of the app or recognize it as poor design.

The YourHead plug-ins are indispensable, and in my opinion, RapidWeaver is totally useless without the Blocks plug-in. However, neither Blocks nor any other plug-in will help you with the header portion of a web page, which cannot be modified via drag and drop-only with Finder-level (or by using yet another 3rd party utility) replacement of a theme's default (and useless to most users) graphic.

You can try the BlocksBox “no-theme” theme in conjunction with the Blocks plug-in, but then, an entirely new set of problems crops up. For example, you get no navigation-you'd have to built it yourself. This may be OK for a one-page or two-page site, but for more elaborare sites, BlocksBox is inadequate. You'll find other RapidWeaver themes that do include navigation to be a lot better suited for the job.

Like you, I find most RapidWeaver themes not to my liking. From the ones I do like (they can be counted on the fingers of one hand) most have non-customizable headers. This leaves just one theme that I like *and* is customizable: the ”Tiger Pop“ theme. Even though drag-and-drop is not an option in RapidWeaver (a serious flaw in my opinion) I'd replace the header graphic in Finder with something I'd have created. Most of the time I'd have to also do some CSS code editing to tell the theme that my graphic's dimensions are different that the ones of the default graphic it's replacing.

Needless to say, I am not happy with having just one theme available to use in RapidWeaver, so I purchased several others from 3rd parties. All in all, if I total the price I paid for RapidWeaver, the several plug-ins in order to overcome the numerous, serious limitations of the app, as well as the countless extra, 3rd-party themes, I could have paid for DreamWeaver plus a week's worth of classroom training for it.

And because the grass is not always greener on the other side, I have tried 3 different trial versions of DreamWeaver and have found it to be an incredibly difficult app to master. Perhaps I have no patience for the time investment required for it. :)

10. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Thanks for this, you basically cut down to the chase and saved me 25$, since rapidweaver will not do what I want. iWeb it is then haha. I have to go through some inconveniences to get a decent site, but I guess it's worth it for the simplicity of most of the tasks.

Yeah, dreamweaver seems way too complex for me too, I don't have the time to learn it for a single, simple website.

11. surfdog_2005 macrumors member