iWeb website: Can you give me some tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xappeal, Aug 18, 2007.

1. xappeal macrumors regular

I love iWeb, it means that you can put together a pretty good website fast.

I also love the html inserting tool.... Some might say too much...

Anyway, other than content (which I have mountains of waiting to go) how can I improve the website?

Is anything where it should/shouldn't be?

Your feedback, positive or negative is encouraged.

Thanks

EDIT: Better give you a link.....

www.middleyearsscience.com

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, one thing is that there could be a lot more consistency from page to page... I'm new to iWeb (and my attempt is very amateur), so I'm not a pro from that standpoint... I did basic HTML back in the day and then really sat out web design for years because I didn't have time for it.

But for your site, it's very striking that, besides the fact that, for some reason, your server is reloading everything with page moves (and quite slowly, at that), it feels as if I'm on completely different websites every time I go to a different segment of your page.

Does that make sense? Some simple things to increase visual coherence are to use a few stylistic / layout concepts with common visual elements, to only use a couple of fonts, to use consistent text colors, etc.

3. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

You're right about consistency, but it is something I am trying to improve. If you have any tips I'd be very grateful.

The server is actually a dns server pointing to a .mac address, it is set to hide the .mac address and only show the middleyearsscience.com address in the browser.

Is this not a good setup? Would loading times be faster if I just used the .mac address?

Anyway, thanks heaps.... I'll keep trying

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know about the .Mac forwarding...that's odd...is the site usually slow for you also?

Mine seems to run fairly quickly off a University Apache server, but I'm not sure if you'd find yours were faster if you moved it onto your server or not. Also you'd lose some .Mac features then.

5. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

I've always found .mac a little slower than when I load onto external servers. I don't know why this is but it is the same for upload and download.

This might be due to the .mac servers being in the states?? I'm loading from Australia, but I've really got no idea.

I think that in the next few months we'll see improvement once they start to get on top of giving everyone 10gb. Even for a company as big as Apple, that's a big upgrade.

6. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked out your website. You have lots of white space, this might be the reason that it loads (so) much faster.

I might try to change the filetype (or size) of my images.

On a more personal note, as a sufferer of Crohn's disease I commend you on your Boggy Creek efforts.