iWeb website running, but switching computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BJB Productions, Nov 19, 2008.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all,
    I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro. I am running a few large websites of iWeb on my old computer. I have an iDisk, so my computer is not the server. How can I maintain all my iWeb stuff if I change computers?
    Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You will need to transfer the iWeb file that stores the website. It is found here I believe

Users/Library/Application Support/iWeb/

The file is called domain or something similar, if you move that to the new computer you should be able to edit/maintain the iWeb site on your new computer.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Yup, above post is correct. You need to copy over the "domain" file. By the way, you should be backing this file up in some way (manually, via Time Machine, etc.). Unlike doing your html coding in Dreamweaver or something similar, there's no way to get a usable copy of your iWeb site off of the mobileme server if you have a disk failure.

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

What about my Address book? I have an iPod, so If I plug it into my new Mac after I've transferred all the music, will it know?

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Will you have both machines at the same time?

If so then I would suggest using Migration Assistant when setting up the new computer. In the inital setup of the new computer it will ask you if you want to transfer information from another Mac, it will then guide you through the process. You will need a firewire cable that you can connect between both machines.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

No, I won't have the computers at the same time....

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you're running Leopard, just use Time Machine to backup to an external drive, then restore from that backup during the Setup Assistant on the new Mac (it'll ask if you want to). If it's an earlier OS, use your install disks to install a system on your external drive, then boot from it and migrate your data to that drive. When you get the new computer, hook up the drive when you first turn it on, and repeat the migration process to that computer.

jW

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Here's my dilemma: I'm selling my Mac mini on Ebay, (right now) with an external HD. So, I've already backed up all my files from my HD and from my lacie to a friends lacie. So, I just need to know if I can somehow transfer my Address book contacts to a flash drive, or something, so when I get my new computer, I can put them in my new address book.

Also, can I sell my Leopard disk with my Mac mini? Will my new Macbook Pro come with a disk? (I always like to have a hard copy..) (I'm buying it strait from apple)

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Will it know what?

How did you transfer the files to your friend's Lacie? Depending on how you did this you may not have all your files.

If you want to copy your contacts the quick and easy way is to open Address book and in one of the menus is the option to Export/Backup the contacts (would give more direct instructions but on a windows machine). This will create a file that contains all your contacts. Transfer this to the new machine and then open up Address book there and use the import option.

All new computers ship with the Install Disks required to install the OS as well as the shipped version of iLife. Essentially this is a Leopard disk however it is specific to the Macbook Pros.

FYI - There is a rule about blank lines in signatures.

11. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Sorry for being vague.. never mind about the iPod thing. The friend I had help me with transferring all the files works for an Apple store. (works at the genus bar) So he knew what he was doing.