iWeb - which web hosts are best? (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bananabar, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bananabar macrumors regular

I've been looking at Fasthosts but it's always going on about "Windows 2003 webspace" and "Windows home web hosting" but I don't know what all this means!

Which host will be best if I want to use iWeb?

2. theappleguy macrumors 6502

While Mac OS X and Windows are the most popular desktop operating systems, Linux is the dominant platform for web servers (Windows and Mac OS X are both used, but are much less common). However, it doesn't matter if the operating system you are using on your desktop is different to that of the server you are using - in 99% of cases it will be different.

I would recommend going with a Linux based host. There are no special requirements to host iWeb websites that don't use MobileMe only features, so pretty much any host will meet your needs - popular hosts include TJR Networks and ASO. I'm sure others will be able to make suggestions as well (also do a search of the web development forum as there are already a number of threads discussing hosting options).

Avoid heavy oversellers (those claiming to provide hundreds of gigs of space and bandwidth for just a few dollars a month). :)

3. Giovannino macrumors member

4. dj8, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. dj8, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

dj8 macrumors newbie

Best iWeb Hosting Service for Webmasters from UK

Tips to choose a reliable iWeb hosting:

1- Web hosting is a global service. It does not matter what country you are located in; US, Canada, Australia, or UK. It is good to note that the cost of hosting services in most countries is generally a little more expensive in comparison to the same services in Canada and the United States. Specifically, American web hosts offer a much better value for money than any local hosting.

2- One of the biggest misconceptions for Mac users is that you have to select the same operating system for your hosting account that you use on your own computer. This is simply not true. In other words, you can select Linux for your hosting account if you currently use Windows or Mac operating systems on your own computer.

3- Don't purchase any Godaddy's packages. Many Mac users have some problems with their hosting services, however, Godaddy is a good place to register domain names.

4- There are several good services to host your website designed with iWeb. One of the most recommended iWeb hosting services is BH Hosting. They are perfect for hosting iWeb websites.

5- MobileMe is too expensive. It is expensive because all Apple products are expensive. You just have to expect a brand tax as the price of doing business with Apple.

Hope this helps.

6. chima macrumors newbie