iWeb with t35.com? uploaded file using FTP nothing shows up? Considering mobile me!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Airforcekid, May 12, 2009.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I created an entire website on iWeb 08 uploaded the index file nothing shows up. If I use mobile me can I use www.website.com instead of www.me.website.com ? What am I doing wrong?

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You can enter the domain (as purchased and registered by you with the nameservers active) in the "settings" section on the MMe Web Apps!

Once you do this, you can continue to www.website.com

3. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

So i would be using mobile me and another server? Or just mobile me?

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er... You need to know that a site is composed of two "in-cloud" parts.
    A data server where you store all the actual website stuff and a domain server which does some really weird things to get you a proper www.[I]mydomain[/I].com rather than some creepy www.me.aaa.com or aaa.blogspot.com or just simply 274.165.198.4 kind of an IP address!

In your current case, MMe provides you 20GB worth of data server space and a free aaa.me.com address. What they dont give you is a registered domain.

You must register a domain with whois.com or any other and then link that domain with MMe.

5. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

So buy a domain from say godaddy then I can use that name with Mobile me? No monthly price for hosting with godaddy? Thanks for all your help by the way!

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No. Not at all for hosting. Definitely not. You have MMe to do that!

But be aware that there are two kinds of domain plans available. Permanent purchase and reactivation at intervals like monthly or bi/tri monthly or half yearly and even yearly. Choose according to your needs!:)

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, there won't be any charge for hosting through GoDaddy if you don't sign up for hosting through GoDaddy. You're getting a domain name through GoDaddy, but hosting the site on MobileMe.

Just to correct some misunderstanding here too:

When you publish your site view iWeb to MobileMe, it is then available via web.me.com/yourusername/yoursitename (you can leave off the site name if you only have one or if you're trying to get to your main site). When you purchase a domain name through GoDaddy and set it up through the MobileMe account settings, that domain name will then display the same page. It hasn't moved, it just has a new address that gets someone to that site. It's kinda like having two phone numbers that ring to same phone. They get to the same place in two different ways.

www.me.website.com doesn't work, nor will anything else other than the two options above. I don't know where ya'll got those addresses, but you won't get to your sites that way unless you purchase website.com (whatever that is) and setup me.website.com as a subdomain. I'm hoping that's not the source of this confusion.

jW

8. GoDaddyGuy macrumors newbie

GoDaddyGuy

Airforcekid,

If you plan on purchasing a domain name from GoDaddy.com we provide instructions on using your name with MobileMe. As Mal mentioned, there's no need to purchase hosting when using this feature. It's just a matter of forwarding and updating the DNS for the domain you register. This is the help article that provides more details: http://help.godaddy.com/article/4100

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

9. Airforcekid thread starter macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Thanks for all your help!