iweb WITHOUT .mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tofaha, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Tofaha macrumors 6502

ok so i created a nice little page on iweb...but now i want to put it on the web...what do i do?
    i'm not too familiar with this stuff
    i just know i don't have .mac
    and i know that you're supposed to click "export to folder" but i don't know what to do with that? :confused:
    Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to upload it to your web hosting space. This would normally be done via FTP. You can either do this via the command line (Terminal.app) or via a graphical FTP client you provide. Basically just like if you had written some HTML files by hand.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Click on "export to folder." Then drag that folder into your ftp uploading software. I use CyberDuck- it's free, it's easy to use, and it has a rubber duck for an icon. You can't beat that!

EDIT: I meant CyberDuck, not CuteFTP. Thanks djstarrock!

4. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Don't you mean Cyberduck.

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Cripes- massive brain fart by me there. Nice save!

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I have a tiny feeling the OP might not know what an FTP is and doesn't have their own domain. I could be wrong though.

7. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

@ Tofaha: Do you have a server? If not you have to set one up first. I don't know where MI is but I'm sure people on this forum can advise you on how to do so. Ask in the web-development section. Alternatively, if you want a simpler way, go to blogger.com and set up a blog. That's free and very user-friendly. iWeb won't work with it though.

Getting a .Mac subscription is also very user-friendly, but will cost you some money. But you can easily create pages with iWeb for it.

8. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

If the OP is just seeing what iWeb is about, can I suggest he/she maybe go get the free 60-day trial of .Mac?

It is a little expensive given that you're paying for it annually, but divided it's really only about $10 a month. And you're paying a bit of a premium for not having to spend the time learning HTML, and fussing around with FTP.

Still, that's a pretty good price for a no-hassle web host (ie: you don't even have to know what FTP is to have a decent website).

Factor in iSync (if you have more than 1 Mac) and it's a fairly decent service at a reasonable price.

Either way, 60 days for free is worth a try.