iweb without .mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redgaz26, Aug 4, 2007.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Hi all, I want to start making a website, since I have no idea how to use html I want to use iweb. But how to I upload my site without .mac and hopefully for free.
    I've been reading about ftp and hosting companies and stuff like that but having never tried any of this I'm a bit confused.
    Is it possible to use iweb then upload my site to the web and what's the easiest way to do this.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Absolutely it's possible.

Instead of uploading to .Mac directly, you simply save to a folder and upload that folder to your ISP.

It's not hard at all.

Edit: some more details:

I use Transmit for uploading files. I find it to be incredibly simple to use, and, if you have questions about it, many of us can help you.

I don't use iWeb much, but you'd simply make your pages, then use File->"Publish to a Folder...", then copy that folder to your ISP.

3. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Isp?

been having a look around is this the place to go http://www.daily.co.uk/
    seems very in expensive! is this the only site I would have to use?
    save my iweb website as a folder and upload it to above named host?
    is it that simple

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd see what other UKers use, but I'd recommend against the cheapest ISP you can possibly find, as service is likely poor.

But yes, in essence, you get a domain, register it and host it with an ISP (you can register with one and host with another if you'd like), then upload your files. There isn't a whole lot more to it than that.

5. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

domain name

sorry if these are basic questions but if I buy a domain name what is it you do for it not to show the usual iweb address for the site?
    and for the ISP's are mac's(iweb) supported by them all or does it not matter which OS you are using?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Basically, the easiest thing to do - although many might recommend that you register with one ISP and host with another - is to pick an ISP, get a plan, and register a domain name with them (each ISP has a slightly different page for registering, but they're pretty similar).

So, suppose you want "www.mysite.com". [Edit: apparently, this is a real domain... I'm only using it as an example, though!]

You'd pick an ISP and get a plan... whichever one you decide on.

Then, you'd use the ISP's site to register "mysite.com". You might need to try a few variations because so many domain names are already taken.

Then, once you've registered, if your ISP is like a lot of them, you'd log onto your account (Telnet, FTP, using Transmit, whatever) with your login and password, and there'd probably be a "mysite.com" or "www.mysite.com" folder (directory) in your account. You'd copy all your site files there.

If you're not using .Mac, there's no .Mac reference anywhere. If you use iWeb, by default (easily deleted), there's a "Made on a Mac" logo. No biggie. You don't need to leave it there.

When you make your files and upload them to your site, people just go to www.mysite.com to see them.

It doesn't matter. Pretty much all of them use browser-based access and allow you on also via Terminal.

7. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

up and running!

had a good look around and got what i think is a good deal. got my domain name for free and a small fee for registration. got a 3 month free trial with the web host. downloaded transmit and have successfully uploaded my first page.
    http://macscot.co.uk/macscot/Welcome.html
    don't laugh it's my first go at this!!
    so say I make some changes to the first page or make another page, how does it work with transmit? how do you upload only the changes you are making.

8. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I have a serious problem with iWeb: my website's (') and double spaces come out as wonky question mark characters on everything except IE.

Distressing.

And it isn't quite WYSIWYG unless you do very simple layout. Distressing. I hope iWeb2 comes out with iLife on August 7th and these problems are cured.

9. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

transmit

can someone run through the basic steps for uploading using transmit, I have uploaded my first page no bother, but have added another 3 and they don't show up.

10. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I'm just wondering what web hoster you using.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If you're still using iWeb, you should go to File> Publish to a folder (say, save it to your desktop or wherever). Then drag that into Transmit and plop it where your site is set to display.

Picture 7.png

Hm, I wonder if this will make you more or less confused:

[​IMG]

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Me and edesignuk among others use A Small Orange

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Every time you make a change in iWeb, you need to upload the entire folder. Hopefully iWeb 2 will be a little simpler.

14. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26