iweb www..????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mtfield, Jul 5, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

So, I bought a domain www.lastresortpictures.com and just started to build it in iweb. I made a quick hold page until i complete the website. However i just realized that if i go to lastresortpictures.com i get sent to yahoo's "this site is under construction" page... but when i got to www.lastresortpictures.com i go to my website... how do i set it so that both ways will send someone to my website (both with www and without them)... i for one rarely if ever type in the www... so i see this as a possible problem... thanks for help!

2. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

So with a tad bit more research it looks like under my .mac account my domain is only set up for the www. version. and i guess this just must not include it without the www. but i couldn't find a way to add the non www. version.... no one else had this problem???

3. myjay610 macrumors regular

Who did you buy the domain with? Usually it's the other way around, you get <yourdomain>.com and then you register www as a subdomain...I'd check the hosting site's documentation for how to get just the domain.com to resolve.

4. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that's interesting. I bought the domain with yahoo small business. Thanks for the advice I'll look into the sub-domain thing

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

It is usually backwards. Domain.com works, but www.domain.com doesn't work because you have to add www. as a subdomain.

6. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that's what i've been reading... i guess i'm just one of the luck ones haha.. i've emailed yahoo and am waiting to hear back. I'll post their response when it comes in.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I had this same problem with a site that I did for my brother, and I also purchased from Yahoo...

I forgot we never got this resolved until I read your thread, I look forward to seeing if you get this resolved and how you get it resolved...:)

8. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it's been solved apparently (however the site is still down.. yahoo says it takes 24-48 hours) anyway yahoo was great and emailed me back within 24 hours with this response.

"Hello Tanner,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Domains.

I welcome the opportunity to assist you with your concern.

I understand that your website "lastresortpictures.com" does not resolve
    without putting 'www' in the URL.

Tanner, as per your test permission, I entered your account and I found
    that you have created the CNAME record with the source
    "www.lastresortpictures.com", this is why your website works fine with
    'www'.

I created another CNAME record with the source
    "*.lastresortpictures.com", and now your website is working fine. You
    may visit the following URL to view your website:

http://lastresortpictures.com/

Please be aware that it can take 24-48 hours for new records to be
    propagated to all nameservers throughout the Internet.

If the problem has not been resolved, clearing your browser's cache and
    deleting the cookie files on your computer can often resolve these
    issues."

So as usual it was user error on my part... oh well, still in the learning phase of all of this website hosting stuff... hope this helped anyone in a similar boat!

9. myjay610 macrumors regular

That's good you got it fixed but a bit bush league on Yahoo's part that they don't allow admins to manage that feature themselves....

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

they don't?! lol, thats horrible.

11. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that i can (in theory of course) go in and manage that side of it, but in reality I would have no idea what I was doing haha... so i'm quite happy they took care of it for me... however I'm going on around 30 hours and it still isn't up... so i'm hoping soon **Crosses Fingers**

12. mrboston987 macrumors newbie

I just resolved this same problem.

I had registered www.northhillproperties.com w/ register.com. I then created a hold page using register.com's service.

I now host my site using .Me. If I only type "northhillproperties.com", I'm taken to the hold page but when I type the "www" in fron of it, I'm taken to the correct site I built using iweb.

I resolved this by having 'forwarding' enabled with register.com.

Hope that helps.

13. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502