iWeb's not going away is it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soundhound, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I have my work portfolio on iWeb, and a few other sites and am about to start another site, and wanted to check something:

I read somewhere about there not being recent updates for iWeb, and wanted to make sure that nothing drastic is changing, basically that iWeb is still going strong and will be around for a good long time.

Anybody know the current iWeb story? Thanks.

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek:. What does that mean?

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    everything anyone will say here is pure speculation.

There was a rumor last year that iWeb was supposed to get an overhaul in iLife '11... Well iWeb wasn't even mentioned. Apple is known for moving their staff to wherever they need them. Meaning the iWeb staff may no long exist and all be split working or iOS projects.

I don't believe iLife '09 updated iWeb either... I don't know I've never used it. If this is true then yes this would seem to indicate that Apple has moved on. At the very least iWeb isn't a priority. But iWeb isn't going anywhere... you can continue to use it to your hearts content. But realize if you are holding your breath waiting for the next big update to revolutionize how you use it... you may be waiting a while...

BUT on the upside, now Apple will slowly transition to only distributing iLife through the Mac App Store as individual applications. That means that hypothetically Apple could update iWeb individually without needing to wait till iLife '12/'13

But on the downside again, iWeb was initially left off the Mac App Store (I think). That does seem to spell doom.

If you like iWeb as it is now, just be happy and do your thing ;)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This. Even if it goes away it can't get any worse than what you have now. You won't get any new features, but if what you have works, then it shouldn't matter.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iWeb was released by apple to work inconjuntion with mobile me to provide an avenue to publish photos, create a home page and provide a "home page" Given that this functionality has been supplemented by facebook, iWeb is now on life support.

While you can create some nice websites with iWeb, its major reason for existing (publishing to mobile me) has been replaced by the social websites, like facebook.

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Apple seems to be focusing heavily on iOS. Lion is going to be a huge upgrade, but most of the upgrades are from iOS. I believe iLife will have a lot of restructuring over the next few years. iWeb and iDVD will be eliminated and a new app may be introduce. OR Apple may just take the route of selling the apps in the app store individually.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's absence in the App store means that it's dead.
    iWeb was a nightmare for Apple to maintain anyway.

9. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everybody for the informaton and persepctive. I guess then my question becomes this. Should I think about transitioning my sites to another program? How does that work? Does one buy another program that has the best capabilities to import a website from iWeb? Does such a thing exist?