iWork '08 default over office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubhe, Apr 6, 2008.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I've started using iWork '08 and really like it, but still have Office '04 installed just in case. It is really annoying though that everytime I open an Office document (from a PC) it automatically open in Office not iWork (ie Word, not Pages). Is there a way to adjust the defaults for all Word applications to open in Pages, Excel in Numbers, PP in Keynote? I know I can adjust it for the individual files, but I want it to be the default for all!

Any ideas?

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Yes, you can adjust it for all, there is also an option under Get Info > Open with ...
    and then just below that "Use this application to open all documents like this."

3. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

Thanks! I knew there would be a way but couldn't find it :)

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

No probs, sometimes we overlook things like that. Glad it worked for you.

5. Capt. Morgan macrumors member

On a related note, at some point I am going to have to update my copy of Office. I am thinking of switching to iWork. Of course the problem is all of the Word and PowerPoint attachments I get in email. How well/easily does iWork open MS Office attachments?

6. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Download a free trial of iWork and see for yourself. It lasts 30 days so you have plenty of time to get used to it. If you want to get it after that you just buy a serial number online and plug it in. Easy.

Link to the free trail page

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I primarily keep Office for PowerPoint presentations which still seem to translate only most of the way, and for the occasional Word document which also loses a little formatting. The filters, however, are very good, and hence I am able to use iWork as my default productivity suite, and am doing so quite happily...and productively.