iWork '08 for college

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GusR9, Aug 12, 2007.

1. GusR9 macrumors member

GusR9

Hello guys, I'm wondering if buying iWork '08 would be a good solution/substitute for Microsoft Office. The programs that I'm going to use is Pages and Keynote, I know about the quality of Keynote and that it is a very good subsitute for PowerPoint but what about of Pages?? I'm going to use it for school works and similar stuff, it is a good solution/subsitute??
    I have Microsoft Office 2004 but I really like iWork for its simplicity and easy of use. Should I buy this version??
    What do you think?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This really has to be determined on a per person basis. What sort of course will you be doing.

How much is the student version? If it is not much, again per person, then the cost to get Keynote is worth it and then Pages is a bonus.

3. garethh macrumors regular

This is a question I am currently considering myself. I am already a Keynote user and to hear audible gasps from old academics when they see some of the effects (used tastefully - like the cube effect for a related concept where you can go off to another cube face and come back to the main topic) is quite fun!

Pages is another thing altogether. I'm working on a fairly long document at the minute in Word and I tried to convert it to Pages and it looked good, worked well apart from the table of contents. I think it has improved a lot in the latest version.

Out of inertia I will probably keep using Word, but Keynote is worth the academic price of iWork on its own! xUKHCx is right. You could buy it and try it. If it is good enough don't buy Office, but you haven't lost if you need to.

4. bradbowl macrumors member

Definitely check to see how much your university charges students for MS Office. The student version of MS Office 2004 (word, excel, powerpoint and entourage) costs LESS than iWork '08 at my university.

Also, if you plan on taking science courses and/or statistics courses then Numbers will not be a viable option. There is no ability to do regression analysis. Being a chemistry graduate student, not having this function makes Numbers useless.

The new Keynote is nice and the upgraded Pages feels more like a viable word processor. The user interface is less cluttered and it feels snappier than Word (probably a rosetta vs. UB issue).

Overall, I would love to be able to substitute iWork for OFfice but I don't believe it's possible if you are in the science field.

5. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I have a question about this...if I make a presentation on keynote, is there anyway I can run it on a windows based machine...I can't really drag my computer to class, not a laptop, and the school mostly has windows based PCs.

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I think that iWork is OK when you're making documents or presentations for yourself... you make them and don't pass them off to anyone else (or if you do, they're using iWork as well)... but university involves a lot of sharing documents... downloading .pps files from WebCT, editing your friends' .docs, sending around a group project for everyone to work on... and when there's that much file-swapping, eventually iWork will stumble, and won't import or export something properly... so I don't think that it's appropriate for students to rely 100% on iWork... get iWork for when you make your own presentations, but I think that Office is unavoidable... it's the standard, and you're only making trouble for yourself if you avoid it. If it comes to one or the other, I would choose Office. If you can afford both, get both. At the very least, get Neo Office, though I don't think that that's a complete solution.

7. GusR9 thread starter macrumors member

GusR9

I'm a Law student and well I already have Microsoft Office the student version but I really like iWork so what do you think? Should I buy it?

8. kikobarbada macrumors regular

DO NOT GET IWORK!! Get the Office Student Edition, it is much better and at least the Word and Excel are the same as the Windows version (not Powerpoint, it is not compatible - really messes up, but I never use Powerpoint anyway).

I have both of them anyway.

9. thebrain74 macrumors regular

Everyone already knows that Keynote rocks the socks off of Powerpoint. Pages is getting closer to a viable alternative, and thanks to the new version might in fact be one. But I think to guarantee head-ache free sharing Office would be wise, for Word, if anything. You could try iWork and test its conversion/importing abilities, but I think Office is needed and if you want rockin presentations, iWork is needed (c'mon everyone knows Keynote alone is worth the price)

10. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

iWork would be great if it had a equation editor... If your not taking anything technical then you will not need this feature. I think iPages is great but I would love to have built in functionality for an equation editor. Again if your using a spreadsheet nothing beats Excel functionality. It all depends on what you need.

For $49 (download version not box version) you can't beat the price for iWork.

Nuc

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I open up PowerPoint presentations made on the Mac version in Windows all the time and vice versa and they come out just fine. If you're using Mac-only fonts, you'll have problems in Windows, but the same can be said for fonts in Word.

I'd go with Office, just for compatibilty. I used the previous version of Keynote to make a presentation, exported to PPT (since I was presenting on a Windows machine) and it looked pretty bad. Fortunately, I was able to open it up in PowerPoint and fix everything before the presentation. Export capabilities aren't 100% up to par (unless that's fixed in iWork 08)

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Several threads are currently running on this topic. You may wish to use the board search function to find them.

13. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

take a look at NeoOffice. It is free and a very VERY good alternative. It has great compatibility with MS Office, as well.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

^^^Listen to this man, he's very wise.

Anyhow, if you're not going to be working with others too often, then Office is a waste. Sending documents to teachers/professors should be done in PDF format anyways, so you won't need to worry about things too much. If they do put up a stink, you can always ask them why they need a format that isn't read-only;)

15. AaronOcean macrumors member

AaronOcean

If you have a Mac then iWork '08 is the best choice for everything you take in college.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The word processing mode in Pages 08 is very nice from what I've used in the trial. I'm at least going to give it a shot this fall to see if is good enough to replace Word.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the main concern for many is speed. Pages used to be slow for large documents (at least many have claimed this, I personally have no idea). Have you tried it out with 20+ page documents? How's the performance?

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I wouldn't use iWork as a replacement for MS Office.

iWork is pretty compatible with MS Office but why not just use MS office. I haven't used the new spreadsheet app but excel is used by everybody and is probably more advanced.

I find Pages to be such a overly power hungry app for what it is. Keynote, however, I think is a great application. When everyone presents there cookie cutter PowerPoint presentations (all looking exactly the same), I amaze everyone with the awesome effects and different look of Keynote.

If you have the money, I would get MS office and iWork, but use MS office primarily.

19. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

All I really needed was a decent word processing program for my upcoming classes so I opted to pick up a copy of iWork '08. It's been working great for me so far, but like many have already said, it depends on the classes you take. For me, iWork does the job just fine.

20. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Most colleges have discounts which price MS Office Student at 74$ at their own student stores. I would get Keynote and MS office since I been hearing and seeing so much better Keynote presentation compare to those done by PowerPoint...

But when it comes to sharing files with other PC users, Word, and Excel are a good tool to have.

21. 66217 Guest

They give free copies of Office 2004 for Mac in my college.:)

But for some unknown reason I still want iWork:p

Damn you Apple, you have made me want everything you sell

22. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

you send me office and il send you iwork if you want. i work is really great though, and totally office compatible

23. Mac One macrumors member

If you do decide to go with iWork it would be an idea to download either NeoOffice or OpenOffice. If there are compatibility issues you can copy the work you've done in iWork into one of these programmes.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As long as you're not doing any important work, sharing that work with other people in class, or work that is technical whatsoever.

Using iWork could work for you, but not in every situation. I'd get Office anyway.

25. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I personally use a mixture of Pages and a bit of NeoOffice for my schoolwork...and I've never had compatibility problems...