iWork '08 - kid away at college

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidg4781, Aug 28, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I was about to purchase iWork '08 (my trial's almost up!) and a question came to mind...

Let's say I'm part of a family and my kid's already off at college. Do I mail them the CD (DVD?) so they can install it on their computer, from the family pack, or are there numbers for each of the family members to use? Also, is the downloaded version the same as the version sold in a package? I'm assuming it is, but just curious.

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I believe it's actually restricted to a household, but I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it says on Apple's website.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

The family pack license can only be used for families who are living in the same household. You kid has to have his own license since the computer is not phycially located at home.

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

The downloaded version is indeed the same as the retail package, with the exception that the logos and whatnot will say ‘iWork ‘08 Trial’, and you can just pop your serial number in and away you go. :)

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahhh, I must have skimmed too quickly over that part...

So, what happens when the kid leave to college? Does it stop working and I have to buy a new $79 box? I guess I'm new to this whole family license thing, since Windows never had any, and I haven't had an opportunity to buy any Apple software. Kind of a neat idea, but, seems like it could be annoying if you don't watch it correctly.

6. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Lol it will work fine, It really doesn't matter about the licenses just as long as your not pirating it to millions of geeks across the world and you stick to the number of licenses in a family pack your fine.

7. socks macrumors newbie

It'll still work.

unless apple use some ip-geo-location and notice one of the machines has moved away from a cluster of registered macs!!!....cool but doubt it.

8. PhilS1121 macrumors newbie

When I spoke to the folks in the Apple Store about one or two of their programs, they told me about the price of the family plan knowing that two of the users would be my daughters who are in college (who were with me at the time). I suspect Apple might consider a "household" to include family members who are being supported while at college, just like the government and most insurance companies do. Besides, what happens when they come home for summer vacation? Does it mean they can install it then provided they take it off when they return to school? :)

9. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Licenses really don't matter! Apple cant really tell and they aren't going to go around chasing one person because they took a licensed computer outside their house, "Family Pack" means you get 5 licenses. Apple wants you to keep the licenses in your household but it really doesn't matter!

10. mattraehl macrumors 6502

actually

Apple specifically excludes using the family pack for college students living away from home, which I think is totally lame. That being said, the only thing stopping you from using this on your college student's computer is you deciding to honor the agreement. This kind of use is very low on Apple's radar.

This is from apple.com:

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I did not read that.

Does this mean that the Family Pack I bought for myself is now void and null because all of the Macs I have are used mostly in a professional capacity*?

Oh the humanity...

*Or is it, just like the bit about only running OS X on Apple hardware, yet another pedantic and practically unenforceable clause in their EULA? Discuss.

Just mail the DVD with a 'bad karma if it goes beyond you' note ;)

12. PhilS1121 macrumors newbie

That is lame. Probably a situation where the rule is intentionally strict for a lot of reasons, while the observance and enforcement of it is intended to be lax in certain instances.

Specifically, with regard to .Mac, the Apple Store salesperson was telling me how great .Mac would be for college students and how I should buy the family pack with my daughter's new Mac (which he knew was going to be located 80 miles away in San Diego). So either the Apple Store reps don't know about the policy, or they don't really expect it to mean anything in the case of a typical college student.