iWork '08/Numbers number increment oddity

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m2uk, Aug 9, 2007.

1. m2uk macrumors regular

Hi..

In Excel I can create an increment series of numbers, i.e. fill in A2 "192.168.0.1" and A3 "192.168.0.2" (without quotes), select A2 and A3 and then in the lower right hand side drag the box down to A4, A5 etc and then that fills in "192.168.0.3", "192.168.0.4" and so on.

Doing that in Numbers I just get 192.168.0.1 in A2, 192.168.0.2 in A3 (the original values) and in A4 192.168.0.1 and A5 192.168.0.2 !

Help indicates it should work.

Here are ways to autofill table cells:

To paste the content and fill of a cell into adjacent cells, select the cell and then drag the Fill handle in its lower right corner over the cells into which you want to paste. You can drag to the right to add values to adjacent cells in the same row, or you can drag down to add values to adjacent cells in the same column.
    Any data, cell format, formula, or fill associated with the selected cell is pasted, but comments aren’t pasted.

If the selected cell contains no data, autofilling clears data from target cells.

You can also add values to cells based on value patterns. For example, if a cell contains a day of the week or a month, you can select the cell and then drag to the right or down to add the next day of the week or month to the adjacent cell.
    To create new values based on numeric patterns, select two or more cells before dragging. For example, if two selected cells contain 1 and 2, the values 3 and 4 are added when you drag through the adjacent two cells. And if two selected cells contain 1 and 4, the values 7 and 10 are added when you drag through the adjacent two cells (values are incremented by 3). Entering only "1" and "2" makes it work.

Has anyone noticed this or is this genuinely a bug (I can then report it).

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

It did the same to me, too. I had Week 1 and Week 2, and when I did what you did, it duplicated it. I just had Week 3 and Week 4 to type, and as you can tell, I don't mind typing them out.

Hopefully they'll come out with an update soon. So far, I kind of like this thing, for my current needs, at least. I think I'll buy this, upgrade to Leopard and not install Office 04, and see if I can hold out for Office 08, if I'll even need it.

3. m2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will file a report with Apple then! Typically the first document I thought I would try in NUMBERS was a new matrix for our LAN/WAN connections(to replace an old Excel one):(