iWork 08 or NeoOffice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nakile, Nov 7, 2007.

1. nakile macrumors regular

I'll most likely be ordering my iMac in a few days. I was originally thinking of just using NeoOffice, but iWork caught my eye.

Is iWork worth the extra $79? What does one have the other doesn't? How speedy are both programs on the Mac? How well do both integrate with Mac OS? Most importantly, which has better MS Office file support?

Thanks in advance...

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon iWork is awesome if you are doing presentations, or sharing documents with other like-minded mac-heads. I did a presentation this year using Keynote, and the quality of it was amazing. It put all the powerpoint presentations to shame :D

I reckon you'd be best to download the trial, and see if you like it. If you decide you want it, it's still $79.

EDIT: oh yeah, compatibility. iWork can open MS Office documents, but can't save as them can if you export the file (see post 11). NeoOffice is free, anyway, so you can run iWork and NeoOffice side by side.

3. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I am using NeoOffice and I HATE it. I need to get iWork.

4. nakile thread starter macrumors regular

Hate is a strong word. What problems do you have with it?

5. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I really like iWork.... but so far it seems as if it is not compatible or something.

First off when I try to attach it in a email through yahoo.com it will never go thorugh and attach. Using the mas os x mail.app is the only time it will attach. But then if I try to open it on a windows machine (which most of my professors have) it is just a bunch of jibberish.
    So I am guessing it is not compatible with everything yet, which really surprises me.

I am hoping someone can correct me here and say I am wrong?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Windows can't open iWork native files, but you are able to export as Word, Powerpoint, pdf, Quicktime, SWF, etc. all of which can be read by those with PCs.

7. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Ugly and bloated. But it's free, so I won't bitch too much.

8. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I am so glad to here that... I would think that is pretty easy... but can you explain.

Most the time I am attaching it to a email and sending it to a professor, so how would I have it exported in the correct format for windows?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, in Pages for example, you would export as a word document; for keynote, powerpoint.

10. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I must ask: which version are you using? The recent editions have been fast and aesthetically pleasing.

11. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

This is not true. You have to use File > Export rather than File > Save (or Save As), but iWork exports to DOC perfectly well.

12. KershMan macrumors 6502

An 30-day trial copy of iWork should be on the iMac when you get it. That should give you plenty of time to check it out and see if you want to buy it.

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Latest version.