iWork 08 Pages Template Assistance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flick7, Nov 18, 2007.

1. flick7 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to create a template consisting of two different pages.

I have created both pages, selected them individually in the Page Thumbnails bar and selected Format > Advanced > Capture Pages and they both appear in the Sections tab.

My problem however, is when I select the second of the sections (the one I wish to duplicate multiple times within a new document), it inserts two new pages - one reflecting the appropriate formatting I have created, and the other a seemingly blank page that carries on both the Header and Footer characteristics of the document.

When this happens, the newly added section appears in the Page Thumbnails bar as a group - that is to say that I am unable to delete the "blank" page by itself, I can only delete both pages.

I would greatly appreciate some help on this issue.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've seen this issue. Captured pages have a section break at the end of them. Select "show invisibles" to see where the section break is located. You may have to reformat some to make sure the section break isn't too close to the bottom of the page before you capture it to a template page.

3. flick7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

I had a look at both the pages to work out where the Section Breaks were, and I could only find one on the first page, not too close to the bottom.

I have attached some screenshots for you to have a closer look at.

What I'm trying to do is create recipe cards. I would like to use the Ingredients page once (twice if I have to, but I don't expect to need to), and add multiple copies of the Method page as I need. Obviously, it's annoying to go to add a new Method section and have an extra blank page being added too. It's causing a lot of difficulties with not only printing the recipe, but also with the linking of text through the text boxes.

Attached Files:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

First, view the page layout, and then try decreasing your document margins in the inspector.

5. aboutimage macrumors newbie

Solved - Check Object Text Wrapping

I realize this is an old thread, but Google search still lists it as highly relevant to the query "iwork pages inserts two pages".

I had this problem too, and was unable to find the answer anywhere on the web. Turns out the solution was fairly simple:

Turn off all unnecessary text wrapping. Since I rarely ever design something to have text wrap around an object, I simply did a "select all" and turned off "Object Causes Wrap" for all objects. 10-to-1, this fixes your problem.

If you really feel like reading, below is the WHY (at least my understanding of it):

Each time you add a new text box or shape object to your page, the "Section Break" marker is pushed down because Pages defaults each new object to "Object Causes Wrap". Basically, each object you add is shoving the section break farther and farther down the page. Shove it down far enough and it essentially goes to the "next page", even if you haven't created one yet. If you get two pages when you insert a new page, turn on invisibles. You'll probably find the section break at the top of the first blank page. Turn off text wrapping for the objects in the preceding page and this will go away.

Dave Simpson
    Aboutimage Design & Photography
    http://www.aboutimage.com

6. jbankston macrumors newbie

Thank you!

The last post solved this frustrating problem... thank you so much! :)

7. NaomiL macrumors newbie

Re: Solved - Check Object Text Wrapping

Thanks so much, Dave. I was having this problem today with an address label template I made. Your solution did the trick and taught me something I'll pass on to others.