iWork '08 question....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to have the font drop-down box for Pages '08 to display the font name in the font it represents??? It's a PITA trying to find the perfect font...

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I assume you must be referring to the Font Pane. You can turn on a font preview in the Font Pane by selecting it from the settings at the lower-left corner.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, not in the font pane....

If you open up a Pages project, in the main Window (where your work on your document), you have the tool-bar at the top. On the tool bar there's a Font drop down list. When you click on the list, the drop down box opens, and shows you all of the available fonts you can use. Oddly, though, it only displays the font names in a generic fashion (I.E. Helvecta, Comic Sans, Times New Roman, etc etc will all be displayed as their name typed in Arial.....) What I would like to have in the drop-down box is each font's name displayed in the font it represents. For example, I want Helvecta to show up in Helvecta (not in arial).

Another example: To reply to threads on this forum, if you click on the FONTS box, the drop-down list will show you each font with its sample....

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Could you screen-shot what you are talking about? I have never seen a font drop-down box for the toolbar.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Screenshot:

Attached Files:

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Nermal.... I'd Screenshot, but I don't really have a host to post the photo to!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no way to do it. Which is frustrating, since I don't feel like coughing up $70 to get the feature in iWork '09.

PS: Does OSX have a Paint-like utility built in so I can easily edit screen shots ???

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I see what he's talking about.

In some programs, like Adobe Illustrator, the font in the dialog is the image of the actual font.

However, Pages just shows the name of each font.

I don't think there's a fix for this, it's just the way that Pages and the rest of the iWork applications are designed. MS Word does this, but unfortunately Pages does not.

Attached Files:

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, I get it. That's the Format Bar (I never use it). You really are meant to use the Font Pane for browsing fonts in OSX. The concept may be a little half-baked, but it's system-wide, for better or worse. Are you using your Styles drawer? I think you'll find that if you use this together with the Font Pane, you won't need the Format Bar for selecting fonts.

9. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's probably that I don't know how to effectively use the Styles Drawer, but I don't use it.

How the fonts are handled in Word is what I'm looking for. Right now I just open the font book and use it to scroll through the fonts to see what I want. I'd much rather stick to 1 program for everything, but i really cant. Heck, I'd be semi-satisfied with using the font pane if I could easily scroll through the font list with the UP and DOWN arrows on my MBP's Keyboard and see the previews. Or, if I could highlight a selection of text in my document, and then scroll through the Fonts in the Format Bar with the UP and Down arrows (or some keystroke).

Another question I have (after bringing my Paint question from above up again), is if there is way I use the 'View Layout' option all the time, without the black outlines? Also, is there a way I can get the 'View Layout' option as my default view, so every time I open a new Blank Document I automatically see the Layout view?

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You don't need one. vBulletin (which is the forum software that is running here) allows you to attach images and what have you to your post and then host it on the forum.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Now I'm beginning to see the vast difference between Pages 08 and Pages 09. In Pages 09 you can choose the Layout view without the lines as the default view when launching Pages 09. When selecting the default view in Preferences you could try the Template Chooser and see if there's a "Layout" option.

Also in Pages 09 the drop down font list shows the font styles blended with the name of the font. Looks like (for you) it's time to upgrade.

12. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Grrrrr.... Maybe when snow leopard shows its face. I'm kind of hoping they offer a "Mac in a Box" deal for Snow Leopard too (although it's probably unlikely).

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I edited my post after you quoted it. I'm wondering if you saw what I added? I was wondering if you could go into Preferences (in Pages 08) and under the general tab choose the default template as Layout. There are lots of layout options, not sure if that's what you are looking for.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You really must. Style creation and handling is one of the areas were Pages truly aces Word. It is so much easier to create good-looking documents when you've mastered styles (which isn't very difficult).

You can set any template as the default, in Preferences.