Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I've got two Macs and want to install iWork '08 on both. Will the standard iWork ($79) install and run on both of them, or will I run into authorization problems? Will the $79 version run on both computers, or do I need to buy the $99 family pack?

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I've got two Macs and want to install iWork '08 on both. Will the standard iWork ($79) install and run on both of them, or will I run into authorization problems? Will the $79 version run on both computers, or do I need to buy the $99 family pack?

Technically, no, you won't have authorization problems. Legally, to remain within the Apple single-user license, yes. The license states the software can only exist on one computer at a time.

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
Technically, no, you won't have authorization problems. Legally, to remain within the Apple single-user license, yes. The license states the software can only exist on one computer at a time.

Hmm.. you're not even allowed to install it on two computers that you own? I.e. say I have a Mac Pro and a MBP? You still need a family license for that? I didn't think so, but I never read the fine print....

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Yes, it will install and work just fine.

I'm not that familiar with Apple's licensing, but in the Microsoft world (which I used to live) you are allowed to install (say) Office on your desktop and laptop with the understanding that you are only *using* one or the other.

And if you call Microsoft, they'll tell you that. Or that's how it was two years ago.

So I don't know if Apple's license is per install or per use? I would say that it's probably per install given that they sell family packs which is something that MS doesn't do.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Hmm.. you're not even allowed to install it on two computers that you own? I.e. say I have a Mac Pro and a MBP? You still need a family license for that? I didn't think so, but I never read the fine print....

Yes that is correct. It is a legal vs. a technical question. Technically you could install it on 2 machines. However, legally you are violating the license, or so it would seem from my understanding.

That is why a corporation can't just buy one copy of microsoft office and install it on 500 computers. Technically they could pull it off and the software would install, but it would be legal to do so.

Practically, I don't see a problem with using one license on multiple computers as long as I'm the only user....legal or not

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
I see it like this: If you are the only one using your two computers, you could *theoretically* install on your desktop and use it, then uninstall from your desktop and install on your laptop. And back and forth. If only one copy is being used at one time, I don't see any reason it shouldn't be ok. If I have a copy on my desktop and a copy on my wife's laptop, however, we could both be using it at the same time, so that's family-pack realm. Make sense to anybody else?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Doesn't matter what you see it like, or what you think is fair, or what Microsoft does, or what the software enforces on the network. It matters what the terms are you agree to with Apple. And those can be found here

Apple End User Software License agreements

iLife '08 Single user
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. The Apple Software is being licensed to you as a bundle and allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one Apple-labeled computer at a time,​

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
Doesn't matter what you see it like, or what you think is fair, or what Microsoft does, or what the software enforces on the network. It matters what the terms are you agree to with Apple. And those can be found here

Apple End User Software License agreements

iLife '08 Single user
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. The Apple Software is being licensed to you as a bundle and allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one Apple-labeled computer at a time,​

yep, that's right

too bad apple doesn't have a more customer friendly license.

write Steve :D

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Or... just spend the frack'n $20 more in the first place and get the Family pack... That is by far the most reasonable multi-user offer on the market.

Exactly correct. That's why I have a family pack of iWork, Tiger, etc. It's cheap, and you don't have to even think about legal issues.

Although technically you COULD install on one machine, use it, uninstall it, install it on another, use it there, etc., as long as you only have it installed on one machine (per the specific language in the EULA). Hardly worth the hassle!

Best,

Bob

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
If you are the single user using only one computer at a time I see no moral faults with this. You got what you paid for, a SINGLE USER license.

Legal or not, that may be the more pertinent question. Likely you won't get in trouble, so as long as you can live with yourself (joking) do it.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
iWork question

If a person buys an Apple computer and also the iWork software, loads it on the computer. Then returns the computer for a refund..........not being able to return the software. Can the iWork software be sold/given to another individual Apple user to load on their Computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.