iWork '08 vs. '04?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Edwardz, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

Hello.

Taking in the fact that the prices are unusually different, (79.99 vs 149.95), is the quality different as well? I used Microsoft Word a lot back when I had Windoze; I really did not enjoy it. I hear that iWork '08 is rich in graphics & user friendly, but how good is Office 2004? Better quality? User-friendly?
    Any feedback would be good. I want the best bang for the buck. Thanks!

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Microsoft Office 2004 will have better compatability with the Windows version (Microsoft Office 2003), documents should look like they do on Windows. iWork is more likely to get things a little off if you open one made on the Windows version of Office (but not necessarily, it might get it right).

iWork is much better for page layout though. Way easier to use, way easier to set things up to look pretty. If you're making a newsletter, iWork is far, far better. If you're writing up a document for school or something, Word is probably better...

Also, Microsoft Office is very slow, as it is designed for PowerPC processors (it's not Universal).

There is a new version of Office, Microsoft Office 2008, coming in January, that fixes the speed issues and adds a lot of features, so it's probably not a good time to buy Office.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Student/Teacher version of MS Office 2004? The full price is something like $400.

Since the Office applications go all the way back to the late 1980s, they're more complete. They're not necessarily great quality but they handle most anything, as you would expect. They have the PIM Entourage included in some packages.

iWork '08 is nicer and generally lighter, but isn't nearly so complete, as the price would suggest. If you need good basics, plus heavy graphics, iWork '08 is fine.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I would get iWork and NeoOffice now, then think about Office '08 when it comes out...

5. Edwardz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you [:. I think I will get iWork, due to hearing that Pages is pretty good. I write a lot of reports for school. Thanks!