iwork 08 warnings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmms8, Apr 20, 2008.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hello, i had a question about document warnings in iwork. everything i open a .doc or .xls the document warning window pops up, does anyone know a way to turn this off? please let me know, thanks in advance!

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I don't believe there is a way to turn it off. It's a pretty important feature.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

No it's not. It's completely worthless. If it "warns" you every time you open a document, it's not giving you any actual information. You learned the first time that there could be errors. Every subsequent warning is simply a waste of time. I have never EVER opened an MS Office document without getting the warning.

Maybe there should be a menu item that allows you to review the possible problems, but it shouldn't be a dialog that comes up every ****ing time I open a document.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Actually it is. It informs you of formatting issues, possibility of iWork reformating the document, missing fonts, possible reformat OF fonts, etc, etc etc. If you address these warnings and re-export then you won't get these warnings.

They inform you of the incompatible items between the (for example) word doc and the pages doc. If you don't fix them (for example) Pages may assign a defacto font and do it's best to translate the word layout, and re-export you potentially risk reformating the document and ruin layout, etc for another user. In an office environment where a document is passed around it could loose it's meaning and impact if Pages reformats it and changes fonts simply because one did not address the warnings.

It's a VERY handy feature.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes, for SOME people. But it shouldn't happen every time with every document. 99 percent of the time I don't care about this type of error. I just need the information in the document, and this slows me down. That's why I said it should be a menu item, not an automatic dialog.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I could agree it would be a nice feature for the preferences to (for example) "Disable MS Word incompatibilty warnings" BUT to have it placed in an "Advanced" tab to eliminate the novice user from accidentally checking it.

Yes, I can agree that would be a nice feature because I do sometimes don't care about the warnings.

Instead I 'quickview' to get the info I need from the doc rather than opening it in Pages, et al. if I don't plan on editing.

7. ChauBer macrumors newbie

Eliminate Warnings!

I, too, resent the inconvenience of having to deal with the warning every time I open a file. Apparently some people need it, but I definitely do not. This is just another instance where the attempt to imitate Microsoft Office fails.