iWork 09' or Microsoft Office for Mac 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasbroval, Mar 24, 2011.

1. thomasbroval macrumors newbie

Which one is better? Also, is iWork going to be updated? When? Which one should I get? When you buy a MacBook Pro they give you a discount on iWork?

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It depends on what you need. I use Office 2011, as my company is a Microsoft and we all use it, and I need the full Excel compatibility that I get through the Office suite (some of the features aren't fully supported in the alternatives).

3. NeoMac, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I have used both but my preference always seems to be MS Office. It's probably because I have used it for so long. It gets the job done for me.

4. apd macrumors member

iWork is very good but Office is much more powerful. The problem is that Office formats are now pretty much the standard in business for editable documents. Pages is not particularly good at handling Word docs and Numbers is nowhere nearly as powerful as Excel. If those points are OK for you, go for iWork.

5. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

it depends on what you do. I am a student and I had to purchase office for mac cos everything at the uni is in office but office for mac is so buggy and ugly. If you work for business, then more powerful office with excell, but sometimes iwork is good. I still think iwork 09 is still better than office for mac, but iwork is likely to be updated soon

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

7. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

8. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Same experience here. I bought iWork and created some spreadsheets and word processor documents. It was a drastic learning curve for me, because I was so used to Office and iWork's interface is so different. There are things that iWork handles better than Office and documents look so much more polished than Office. However, I ended up buying Office when it came out and just have not had the desire to go back into to iWork.

Also, this thread probably doesn't belong here in a hardware topic.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I do not have MS Office but have been happy with iWork. The '09 version is long in the tooth and is long due for an update. As always, wait till you absolutely need it or download the trial versions which will last you 30 days and hopefully the update will be released.