Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teyoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
California, USA
I have been a PC all my life and I am going to be switching to Mac very soon. Im sure this is always asked. But im trying to figure out if I should get iWork or Microsoft Office 2008 for mac.

Im in high school, so I will be using it for school work. I will be using it for college as well when I get there. As far as I know I wont be doing any advanced work.

I like the fact that if I got iWork it would be made my apple so it runs smoother than office. However, Im hesitant about getting iWork because most people do use office and I might learn one thing at school on office and I might not know how to do that on iWork.

Ive also hear that iWork isnt half as good as office and that a lot of things are missing from iWork that office has.

I also wanted to know if I can make iWork automatically save my douments as a .doc.

Can ya'll help me out? Please and thanks!

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Well, iWork will give you the broadest range of savable formats, including those of Microsoft Office. However, you only get three apps with iWork: Pages (Word), Numbers (Excel), and Keynote (PowerPoint). iCal and Mail take care of whatever's missing versus the Microsoft counterpoint, though.

Now, iWork lets you save in .doc, .ppt, etc. formats, but they don't always open the easiest with Word and PowerPoint, respectively. If you want to be sure you get everything, you should probably purchase Office. But I'd wait until Office '11 comes out next year.

VivaV

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
You can do a 30 day trial of iWork to see how it works for you.

I really like iWork, and use it when I want to show off gorgeous things - but I have used Office for too long that it is sort of the standard for me. There is always a bit of a learning curve when I use iWork after a bit of a break.

And agreed - wait for the update before buying either version.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
BTW, a simple Mroogle search will bring up hundreds of threads about this, with more opinions, if you need any.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
NeoOffice. And try to find a "download" of iWork just for Keynote. :D

I wish I knew I could do that before I bought iWork.

I'd say OpenOffice over NeoOffice, as Neo is a side project based off OpenOffice.

Also don't steal software, keynote is 80 bucks, and its very good software. I'm waiting for iWork '10 before I buy it, but I loved iWork '08.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If you purchase Office:Mac 2008 now, you can get a free upgrade to Office:Mac 2011 when it comes out in October. Full details are available [url="http://blog.officeformac.com/office-for-mac-2011-in-the-store-this-october/]here[/url].

Regards,
Nadyne.
Nadyne. Your link doesn't work.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I like iWork for creating documents of all sorts. Keynote is the best for presentations. Lately I'm a real fan of using Pages in layout mode.

There might be special things that only Office can do. My guess is that if you are asking this question then you don't need that.

The only time I need office is when I have to be politically correct at work and submit documents that are genetically MS. This has nothing to do with functionality.

I wouldn't worry much about learning MS Word. I doubt that more than a few percent of people use any more than the most basic functions.

My kids both used iWork in high school. They either print a document or submit a PDF.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
I have both Microsoft Office and iWorks and i much prefer the latter. Not only does it run more smoothly (guess its just my computer), but the i like the interface to each of the programs of iWork than of MO. Keynote is very good for presentations and I Pages gives me a larger surface area of paper to work on. And both can export and read MO file types.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I have both Microsoft Office and iWorks and i much prefer the latter. Not only does it run more smoothly (guess its just my computer), but the i like the interface to each of the programs of iWork than of MO. Keynote is very good for presentations and I Pages gives me a larger surface area of paper to work on. And both can export and read MO file types.

Personal preference; I also have both and much prefer MSO.

theARNSKI

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Just as some have said, go with what's more compatible with your school. Primarily for ease of use, such as emailing teachers/classmates documents and such, without the hassle of converting the file.

When I got my Mac last spring, I got iWork with it, and fell in love with it quickly, however. I was pretty content with the switch from Office, of which I have used all my life and was more the dominant in school. With iWork, you can 'Save As' a .doc/.xml/.ppt and send it to people with Office. Granted some things may have changed during the conversion, I've never had a problem. The only gripe I had was having an excel file sent to me and it not opening.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
just wait mate, both iWork '10 and Office '11 are coming out this year.

ou could by office now and get the free upgrade (promotion)

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Where'd you hear that about iWork?

honestly can't remember :(

but it was somewhere pretty reliable, they had an article about it... not that that means anything of course.

I was just so sure for a moment... I might have confused it with iLife '10, I know i read stuff about that...

xi mezmerize ix

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Maryland, USA
honestly can't remember :(

but it was somewhere pretty reliable, they had an article about it... not that that means anything of course.

I was just so sure for a moment... I might have confused it with iLife '10, I know i read stuff about that...

O okay I was just wondering. I kept hearing that they weren't even doing a version for 2010 and we had to wait until 2011...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.