iWork '09 - Sort List Into Alphabetical Order

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skate71290, Apr 30, 2010.

1. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, well as the title suggests, i would like to sort a list into alphabetical order automatically, i know Office 2007 does this... would seem lazy if Apple didn't put this in... and i have 70 References to sort... and yes i am lazy, really can't be bothered to Alphabetise them myself lol, any suggestions? :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iWork is the name of the suite, like MS Office is the name of Microsoft's office suite.

Do you use Numbers or Pages?

In Numbers one can change the column to "TEXT"content, and then sort the column by right clicking on the column header.

3. skate71290 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oops, sorry, my bad, i'm really tired and stressed with this Essay lol, i am using Pages, thanks :)

4. Chris G macrumors newbie

Alphabetize by 1st character in Last Name

What if I need to alphabetize a list of names, but I have first and last name?
    What then?
    (I'm certain I'm not the first person to need to do this, but all the basic alphabetize functions just seem to alphabetize for a single word.)

Some names have middle names or middle initials, others do not.

Is there a way to alphabetize a list that contains multiple names (first last and sometimes middle) by using the first character of the last name.

I don't care what app.

Any app.

I have Apple iWork
    I have Microsoft Office
    BB Edit

...and a few other things.

Thanks for any help.