Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gneiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
West Hills, CA
iWork '09 will not load in El Capitan. Also My time capsule will not back up files since installing El Capitan. Any suggestions

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Downgrade back to Yosemite and install El Capitan on a computer (or at least a partition) that isn't your primary getting-work-done setup? This is not sarcastic.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
iWork '09 will not load in El Capitan. Also My time capsule will not back up files since installing El Capitan. Any suggestions

Latest iWork (2014 update) works without problems on El Capitan and it's a free update. Any reason you don't want to use it?

Reactions: Fondaparinux

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Latest iWork (2014 update) works without problems on El Capitan and it's a free update. Any reason you don't want to use it?

Loss of dozens of essential features. To name a few:

No side-by-side pages
No linked text-boxes
No importing styles
No .rtfd support

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Unfortunately I'd say that Pages/Keynote/Numbers will keep being developed by the 'lowest common denominator' aka iOS so if you want the sort of complex support then you're better off maybe investigating Office 365. I've got a subscription and running the latest Office for Mac preview and things are going well - it has some bugs since it is a preview but it appears that Microsoft and Apple have come to an informal gentleman agreement - Apple will take the low hanging fruit and Microsoft will go for the mid to high level end users.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
If you try to open an old iWork '08 document in Yosemite with the current version of Pages, you will get the error:

"This document can't be opened because it's too old. To open it, save it with pages '09 first."
So if you need to edit an old doc, the "trick" is to open it in pages 09 first, immediately save it in pages 09 format, quit pages 09 and then open the new file in the latest version of Pages.

It's a fairly well known workaround.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You might want to wait until El Capitan is finished and comes out before deciding that iWork '09 no longer works in it.
The current status at this point in time is that iWork '09 doesn't work. As to whether or not it will work when OSX 10.11 is released does indeed remain to be seen.

For those who rely on iWork '09, NOW is the time to submit bug reports to Apple and make noise about it. Remaining quiet assuming that it is only a temporary limitation is not going to be helpful.

Unfortunately I'd say that Pages/Keynote/Numbers will keep being developed by the 'lowest common denominator' aka iOS so if you want the sort of complex support then you're better off maybe investigating Office 365. I've got a subscription and running the latest Office for Mac preview and things are going well - it has some bugs since it is a preview but it appears that Microsoft and Apple have come to an informal gentleman agreement - Apple will take the low hanging fruit and Microsoft will go for the mid to high level end users.
There are a few reasons why some of us continue to use iWork '09... for our workflow and the things that we do, iWork '09 simply works better.

I use all three heavily (Office 365, iWork '09, and LibreOffice). I prefer iWork '09. But I know that I'm on borrowed time with that so I'm formulating an "exit strategy" when that days comes.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm formulating an "exit strategy" when that days comes.

At least Office for Mac is coming along nicely.

My issue is that there are just some things Pages '09 did better than Word. Word 2016 may finally align itself with how the Windows version works, but I never liked that. Things like Table of Contents, Styles, and graphical layouts are much harder in Word and I can never get them to look how I want*.

What's sad is that you shouldn't have to be formatting an exit strategy. I understand the idea behind Pages 5. Okay. But that was almost 2 years ago and there are STILL basic things missing. The last several updates have just been OS X compatibility updates. No new features and no mention. YOU CAN'T EVEN IMPORT A STYLE!? I mean, that alone is laughable. I'm not rebuilding all of my styles for each document.

*An example of this is the table of contents. In both Pages '09 and Word I have some styles that involve special bullet points. Pages formats the TOC consistently with just neatly aligned text. MS Word puts the bullet IN the heading of the TOC. And every time I try to format one aspect of the document, it seems to mess up something else.

Reactions: ZumayaPublisher

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've grown to like the latest iWork... there are some good things about it, missing features is annoying, but I can't stand office 2011. I've become so accustomed to it, I don't really want to move back to Office 2016 when it comes out.. as its still office.

Reactions: !!!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've grown to like the latest iWork... there are some good things about it, missing features is annoying, but I can't stand office 2011. I've become so accustomed to it, I don't really want to move back to Office 2016 when it comes out.. as its still office.

I do think the current Pages is a nice product. It suits many users needs and is excellent for tech-impaired individuals. It's handles graphics better than Word will ever dream to.

It's just that for some people, pivotal features were removed.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I do think the current Pages is a nice product. It suits many users needs and is excellent for tech-impaired individuals. It's handles graphics better than Word will ever dream to.

Since I use Pages 09 for legal work, the removal of advanced typography options in the 'iOS X" version is more than annoying.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Oh yeah and I don't disagree with that, features I loved were removed. Its just that 1. All my documents were converted 2. had to update pages on my iPad as it started crashing, so it meant I had to update my Mac as well (I use iCloud pages syncing for pages on my iPad which I use a lot) so essentially I had no way to go back.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
That's seems to be Apple's philosophy over the past few years.

Very very annoying. I wish Apple didn't think the best option for new programs was to 'blow up' the old one, and design a new completely different version missing heaps of features. If iPhoto doesn't run in El Capitan I will be mad.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Very very annoying. I wish Apple didn't think the best option for new programs was to 'blow up' the old one, and design a new completely different version missing heaps of features. If iPhoto doesn't run in El Capitan I will be mad.

Apple is a mobile first company. Everything they do seems to be geared toward iOS harmony. But where Microsoft tries to build mobile up to desktop, Apple seems to drag desktop down to mobile.

A program should be more powerful on a full OS X computer than on an ARM based tablet.

Reactions: MJWMac1988

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I kind of figured that the goal here was to try to start over with a much leaner and more modern code base for cross-platform parity, and by definition you have to start by aiming for the main 80–90% of user tasks when starting from scratch. Otherwise you ultimately wind up with Office, which is designed to be all things for all people but basically no person alive would describe it as "lean" or "efficient."

The iPad is pretty clearly the future of personal computers (on a long enough timeline) in much the same way that the four-door sedan was the future back when people needed pickup trucks for all that farming that they used to do and no longer do. It only makes sense that they'd be trying to take it seriously as a platform.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I kind of figured that the goal here was to try to start over with a much leaner and more modern code base for cross-platform parity, and by definition you have to start by aiming for the main 80–90% of user tasks when starting from scratch. Otherwise you ultimately wind up with Office, which is designed to be all things for all people but basically no person alive would describe it as "lean" or "efficient."

The iPad is pretty clearly the future of personal computers (on a long enough timeline) in much the same way that the four-door sedan was the future back when people needed pickup trucks for all that farming that they used to do and no longer do. It only makes sense that they'd be trying to take it seriously as a platform.

But the thing is that we're almost 2 years in and they still haven't added features they took out of iWork 09'. Personally, I think that is crazy. Apple is a huge huge company so they should have been able to add more features. iWork 2014 should be better than iWork 2009, not worse. Perhaps they could have maintained iWork Pro and iWork light or something. I don't know. The same goes for Photos. Apple DESTROYED the iPad as a good photo management tablet through blocking iphoto from running in iOS 8. Photos on the iPad has about 20 percent of iPhotos features. Why couldn't they have continued to let paying customers like myself run iPhoto on their iPads?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I think what they're saying is that Pages '09 isn't functioning properly in 10.11 so the trick may not work.
Yes. Exactly. I thought I'd quoted someone earlier asking "why would you want to use iWork 09", but I must've deleted the quote or something? :confused:

Anyway, the usefulness of that trick is why. Sorry for the confusion.

ZumayaPublisher

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2014
Austin TX

Because the older version is a superb layout and design program with an intuitive interface and the newer version not only lacks some vital functions but has an "inspector" that looks like it was designed by someone who did Word?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.