iWork '09

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thunderclap, Oct 3, 2008.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

In the October 2008 issue of Wired there is an article detailing Google's new browser Chrome. From the article:

When Microsoft's Internet Explorer and the codebase at the heart of Firefox were originally conceived, browsing was less complex. Now, however, functions that previously could be performed only on a desktop -- email, spreadsheets, database management -- are increasingly handled online. In the coming era of cloud computing, the Web will be much more than just a means of delivering content -- it will be a platform in its own right.

This got me thinking (and gets us to the point of the subject). Apple has taken email, calendars and contacts to a new interactive level with MobileMe. How likely is it that Apple will take iWork '09 or '10 and make it a web exclusive much like MobileMe? I don't see it happening for iLife since video editing and DVD authoring can be processor intensive (I could see iPhoto though). If Apple went to an online format for iWork how would you feel about it?

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I feel like I would probably stick with iLife '08. Productivity apps need to be able to be used while mobile, and there isn't an Internet connection everywhere yet.

3. portent macrumors 6502a

Extremely unlikely. Apple is in the business of selling Macs and iPhones/iPods. It will not start making web applications for use on just any computer.

Even MobileMe is not a web-exclusive service. It supports browser (and MS Outlook) access for email/calendar, but it also requires Mac OS X and iWeb for other features, and integrates with other Apple apps as well.

4. Slumbercub macrumors regular

I feel the same as StealthRider. The day iWork, or any other app I use, goes web based only is the day I stop using it. Call me a luddite but we still use a pen and paper despite the many various methods of information exchange; the reason - it works and works well. Mobile Me works fantastically well, I get my emails and can browse my data wherever I want. However, to write a letter, compile a spreadsheet, edit a photo, plan a project or draw my next great invention, I really want to have 'ownership' (horrible word) of the means to allow me to do it.

5. sir42 macrumors 6502

I actually do think it's only a matter of time before Apple adds iWork support to MobileMe. With Microsoft, Google, and a host of startups all heading in this direction, it would seem that more and more of our document storage/creation will happen in the cloud.

That's not to say that work on local applications will become obsolete any time soon. But I do think that online versions of both Pages and Numbers (and maybe even Bento) would make a great compliment to the local versions and could even be used in tandem.

6. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Maybe Apple comes up with something like MS Office Live for Office 2007. Works pretty well on a PC. Online storage to exchange files but local editing. This way, you still have the capability of offline working.

7. Maximillian macrumors 6502

I see iWork/iLife '09 taking MobileMe syncing to the next level. Why not be able to pay for more storage so you can share your uncut footage or your iDVDs to family/friends? Let them download them and edit/burn when and what they want.