iWork 11? No Show

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seamuskrat, Jan 6, 2011.

1. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

With all the app store teasers, recent release of iLife 11 one might have thought iWork '11 was coming soon.

Alas, it does not seem to be so. At least all I see is installed next to the apps.

I actually like the new MS Office, so I am not nearly as desperate as I once was for the new Apple products. But we all know Apple often has a unique spin on the common, and I still prefer Keynote to all others and would love to see that pushed to even more development possibilities.

Considering the way the web works, the way Hypercard worked, and Keynote, I could imagine making keynotes that are HTML5 ready and have scripting abilities and interactive abilities like Hypercard. That would be an app that rocked, and brought some life back to the MIA web development scene for the Mac.

Just a thought at least.

2. sir42 macrumors 6502

I was actually a bit bummed about this. I live in iWork everyday for work and while I think it's a great program, it definitely had some annoying habits that I was hoping any upgrade would fix. Also, I really just want better cloud and iPad iwork management.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
  5. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Hopefully we'll see iWork '11 in the near future.

Maybe WWDC 2011? Yes.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that 2011 is not even 5 weeks old, I'll withhold my criticism. Its still too early to be whining about how iwork 2011 is MIA

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Hopefully sooner than that... if you look at the version history release dates since the suite was created it went like this

iWork '05 - iWork '06: 1 year
    iWork '06 - iWork '08: 1.5 yrs
    iWork '08 - iWork '09: 1.5 yrs
    iWork '09 - present: 2.0 yrs

If we wait till WWDC this summer that would make it 2.5 yrs... I guess Apples excuse is that they diverted their iWork team to make it for the iPad last year...

8. cav23j macrumors regular

they pulled it at the last minute

this pic was taken from Apple's website on the day of the Mac App Store Launch
    they changed the photo later that day

[​IMG]

9. Danekero macrumors member

Oh, that's depressing. D: Well, if they have the software ready enough that they made promotional material featuring it, I'd assume it'll be ready for market soon. Let's all hope. I honestly prefer iWork to Office.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'm happy they pulled it. I mean if they found something that was catastrophic enough to pull it from being sold, I don't want to deal with those bugs or issues. I'll personally be happier to wait and know that apple is producing a quality product.

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm actually a huge fan on iWork. I would hate to see it go the way of AppleWorks.

I hope there is an update soon.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. I'd also like to think Apple will offer a free update for them who bought iWork 09 from the App Store.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I don't think he is implying that he wishes that Apple would just release buggy software to us... he is wishing that the software were ready for release at that time

Now why in the world would they do that.... when has a major software upgrade EVER been free...

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

If iWork 11 had come out on time, everyone who bought iWork from the App Store would now have '11 and not '09. If they are releasing it soon (within the next month or so), it would be down right greedy for Apple to not offer a free upgrade for them who bought it from the Mac App Store.

But... this is Apple we are on about.

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I'm sure Apple will follow whatever policies they currently use about software upgrades. In the past if you bought iWork the day before a new update was released would Apple give you a free upgrade? (I honestly don't know) Or would they give you a reduced rate? Whatever they have done in the past is most likely what they will do now. That doesn't make them greedy, it makes them a business.

16. cav23j macrumors regular

they do still sell iWork 09' on their online store and in Apple stores so your suggesting only App Store people should get it for free and it prolly won't be announced till the iPad event which could still be awhile

Next Apple Keynote

iWork 11' into iPad version into iPad 2

and i would imagine it must of been some huge bug for them to pull it last minute like that
    it seems like the iWork team failed to make the deadline with a product ready for the market

17. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

nah, they didn't pull it.. the front page is rotating and that app changes frequently..
    click iwork under quick links and the same picture pops up..

[​IMG]

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't know... having put it on the Mac App Store so recently, I don't think they'll want to release an update too soon.

Unless, of course, they offer it as an free upgrade for App Store purchasers, but I somehow doubt it.

19. cav23j macrumors regular

look on the right of the picture i posted under All Categories and above Top Paid and you will see it say's iWork 11'

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I think he's talking about how it says iWork '11 over on the right

21. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

or iLife11..
    but yeah, what's the difference ;)

edit.. haha ok.. i see it.
    throw stuff at me.