iWork 11 release soon, more evidence

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boydbme, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Boydbme macrumors member

Boydbme

So I was on the phone with apple to get my Magic Trackpad replaced (left side not clicking) and it took them forever due to a glitch in their system (pparently the macbook air doesn't have the magic trackpad listed as a replaceable accessory). They had to go through all this stuff to get it sent and it took a long time.

At the end of the conversation, the rep (a higher up since I was transfered up mid-way through the call) thanked me for being patient and said he was sending me a free copy if iWork along with the replacement trackpad.

Thanks Apple! But since the rumors are that iWork 11 comes out soon this seems suspiciously like just clearing inventory to me. ;)

2. stridemat, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010

stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

5. cav23j macrumors regular

you are on the right path
    i think it will be released with the launch of the app store
    if you noticed in the screenshot for the app store each iWork app is $20 which is a total of $60 and the current iWork is $79

$20 price change on a current version is unlikely

6. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If iwork 11 is just another bugfix and a few guides like ilife 11 it will be sold at a lower cost, also if sold through the app store it will have a lower price due to no packaging and media.

But let's hope they have finally ended the beta-state on their online service iwork.com and actually done some work on the release.

To me ilife 11 was likened with just another golden hits album from an artist that has not written anything in a while.

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

How much more stuff can you add to word processing though and keynote? Even Numbers must be getting really hard to update stuff unless they just add more graphs. Nice to see what they will bring out though

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

There are many, many features that the iWorks components are missing. But whether one considers them "essential" or "niceties" is in the eye of the beholder.

If the features in Appleworks that are currently missing from iWorks + Bento were included in an update, then I'd be a happy camper.

9. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

iWork 11 will be available within the end January. Proof? Mac App Store. :)

10. cav23j macrumors regular

iLife 11 will actually cost more through the app store
    each app is $15 (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband) but if you want the current version of iWeb and iDVD it will end up costing you more

11. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

However not everyone would use iWeb and iDVD as much as the other 3, isn't it?

12. steveoc macrumors regular

I've been a big Keynote fan for years, but looking at some of the new features in PowerPoint 2011, Keynote better have a spectacular upgrade or I'll probably switch.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Where did it say it was a new version?

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

lots of things!

general: not to have to dig through 3 levels of menus in inspector to change simple settings

specific:
    skew/distort images in pages
    merge documents in pages just like word 2003 can do
    make numbers faster
    introduce many more keyboard shortcuts into numbers
    lots of different more scientific (means actually useful) graph types

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Every mac has iLife installed, so they would have those apps anyway.

16. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Nowhere. But I guess they'll distribute primarily through the App Store. No point for me buying DVD no more, I want a digital download for my MBA.

I expect those feature such as autosave Jobs was telling about will be coming in the new iWork. Plus iWork was the first software they sold through the App Store for the iPad, and I think it'll follow for the Mac too. ;)

17. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

If iWork 11 is anything like iLife 11 then it should be a free point upgrade. Nothing in iLife is worth the price, especially as selling your old iLife 09 is a no go. They could have added a bitmap image editor app for example. Or iWeb could have been much more powerful. A complete let down. Not worth upgrading, but still worth the price if you do not have iLife at all.
    iWork needs a new killer app or some amazing enhancements. Pages could have a much wider range of image editing tools. Think it will just be moved to the MacAppStore as iWork 11.

18. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

True, but through the App Store they probably will be sold separately, as iWork for iPad was.

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Keynote is perfect, and I don't use Numbers. Here's what I'd like to see in Pages:

1. Autosave (I think this is a given, and about damn time)
    2. Better collaboration features, esp. with windows users.
    3. A killer One Note-like Notetaking view.
    4. The option to use .doc as the default format (don't see this happening.)

20. cav23j macrumors regular

people with iLife 08 wouldn't have the updated versions of iWeb & iDVD that came with iLife 09 and 11

so unless apple puts those versions for $2 each on the app store it would be cheaper just to buy the physical copy

21. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Considering the iLife require 10.6 and everyone who has snow leopard show have iLife 09 (box set) that's not an issue.