iWork 2011 - What happened?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BioCore, Oct 23, 2010.

1. BioCore macrumors regular

Hello all,

So did Apple forget their iWork suite or something? I was expecting at least some kind of mention that they are working on a future update. I have ben holding off from buying iWork '09 hoping to get the benefits of more features (especially data analysis in Numbers). I don't think '09 is worth it yet.

Anyone have any information if they are working on something, when it might come out? From any source?

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am sure that it's coming in the near future, but of course I don't base that on any information or rumors. It is just the logical step. Maybe we will see it when the App Store launches.

3. BioCore thread starter macrumors regular

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

My thinking was that they'll do it at an event in January.

-New iPad
    -Launch of the Mac App Store (with about 45 minutes of demos)
    -Oh and one more thing: iWork '11, available TODAY on the iOS and Mac App Stores.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The iPad happened. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the team is focused on getting the iPad apps up to snuff. They're pretty basic in functionality, yet they continue to remain the top selling iPad apps in the iTunes Store.

Priorities, priorities.

6. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I hope they hurry up with iWork '11. As much as I love iWork '09, it's still got some missing features which are badly needed!

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd have thought they might hire one or two extra staff to help it along. They aren't exactly cash-strapped.

8. 3282868 macrumors 603

Exactly! Apple has grown too large for the small number of employees that Jobs insists on in order for tighter control. Moving employees off one project to work on another (which has been the case since the iPhone was released in 2007) only weakens one division to strengthen another.

It seems obvious that Jobs knew Apple could not beat Windows in the desktop OS market, so they created a new market and strengthened the consumers "need" for this new market. With mobile devices strengthening their core, Apple has dominated an industry it redefined, an industry filled with high school kids and soccer Mom's filling every Starbucks from here to Australia with iDevices. Macs? Who uses Macs? It's all about the iPhone, iPad, mobile systems. Soon OS X will be iOS X.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Well Apple's been using a new version of iwork for quite some time as far as I can tell by Steve's transitions in his latest KeyNotes.
    I think that they could have released it, but want some inaugural software for the Mac AppStore in January.

10. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

They're going to be the new apps released to push the OSX app store. I think they're working hard to come up with a reason for a consumer to purchase it over Office 2011 which surprisingly doesn't suck.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

KeyNote, and the absolute get the job done simplicity of Pages are enough to get me to buy the much cheaper iWork suite. Numbers is terrible compared to Excel, though.

12. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Clearly not a cash issue. From some of the comments Steve has dropped here and there it seems as if his idea is to have a relatively small team of really productive people rather than a cast of thousands. The thought is that even if all those thousands are really bright people it becomes difficult to keep them all coordinated.

These sorts of discussions have gone on for years in software land. I have no strong opinion on the subject myself.

I knew a company that would tackle projects with only about six or eight programmers. When they got a project they would go off to a cabin somewhere and program like mad. Their idea was that a small team was more productive and that by finishing the project really quickly the customer didn't have time to think up new features to add.

13. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

You really expected them to announce a new iWork one week before Office '11 comes out? Best to wait a little so they don't go head-to-head.

14. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Are they? You can order new Macs with Microsoft Office 2011 pre-installed. With Apple's current dislike for all third party software on their products, this is rather interesting. I mean, why aren't they offering the choice of installing Adobe Audition instead of Logic Express, or even Lightroom instead of Aperture?

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that Apple knows that these are the de facto standard for businesses and schools. iWork is nice, but it doesn't have a very big market share and it's compatibility with Office rather limited.