iWork and Multitasking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reddkryten, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

Hello,

I was just wondering, do any iPad Air or iPad mini (two and four) owners know about multitasking with iWork apps?

I am planning to upgrade so today I went into an Apple Store to try them out, with split screen multitasking being the real draw. It worked well until I tried to multitask with numbers and notes. I was able to get notes to cover 1/4 of the screen, but not 1/2. I played around a bit more, it seems that multitasking works with every app except for the office ones.

I asked but none of the staff members were able to figure out why. Is this a bug? An app waiting for an update? Or something else.

The ability to multitask with office apps is the real draw for me so if that doesn't work, there is no reason for me to upgrade.

2. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Though I'm not sure when, I do think Apple is going to release an update soon. Because that's the thing that makes the actual Split View functionality for third-party apps possible. The iWork suite comes standard with every new iOS device, but they can still be deleted, so they're considered third-party apps.

Still think it's strange that Apple has not updated those apps right from the day iOS 9 was released. Usually they'd do that. :p

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Yeah, apps have to be updated to support split screen. Hopefully, they'll be released soon. Worst case, whey will be updated shortly before the iPad pro launches.

4. Reddkryten thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah excellent, thank you so much for your help and knowledge.
    I'll wait until the new updates come out before upgrading, then I'll enjoy my mini.

5. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Apple hasn't updated Pages, Numbers or Keynotes. Perhaps when the iPad Pro launches next month or before. iOS 9 has been out for three weeks. Waiting game.

6. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I have to wonder if there's a reason why Apple brought Microsoft onstage instead of showing off their iWork solution.

7. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Most corporate business run on Windows rather the OS X and MS office is what most use

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yep, I suspect that they'll wait until the Pro is launched... perhaps last minute tweaks for the Pro.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yeah, but they could have easily used the iPad Pro to push iWork. I'm just paranoid about what they're going to do with the suite.

Are they serious about it anymore? Or will they be only doing bugfixes for the next forever?

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Apple stopped being serious about iWork when they release a downgrade after so many years of nothing.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I believe Apple read Reddkryten's message, they will start update iWork suite soon... They want you to upgrade to iPad Air now. Good job Reddkryten.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have no doubt that Apple will update them to work with split screen multitasking, but the Microsoft apps support it now and that's what I tend to use more anyway (not necessarily by choice, but that's what I receive from other people, and formatting isn't always maintained when opening in iWork).