iWork and spelling dictionaries

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Just started using Pages for Word Processing, so far I am more impressed with it than I thought and have started using it more than NeoOffice but one gripe is the spellchecker. I can't find any way to change the dictionary from 'American English' to well.. 'English English'!

I've changed every possible OS setting I can find to UK English but it still claiming that words like 'colour' is spelled wrong!??? Arrrrgh :mad:

Anyone know how to switch this over? :confused:

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Try Inspector>Text>Other>Language>"Pommy English"
Haahaa... Found it, it was in Inspector > Text Inspector > More > Language
on mine! Hey I've got no problem with Aussie English, but I thought even you guys would prefer 'Aussie English' over the forced down your throat until you cant bloody breathe 'Yankee English'! :p

If you look in the international language preferences for MacOS you'll notice American English is simply referred to as 'English' next to 'British English', 'Australian English' and every other nations version of English......

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Hey guys do you know how to set British English as the default language so you don't have to set it every time you start a new document?

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
I just found an answer to my own question:

Open System Preferences>International>Language>Edit List>Check British English>Click OK>Drag British English to the top of the Languages list.

Now all programs will set British English as their default dictionary (handy for iWork and Adium spell check)!
:cool:

applelady

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
After all this time!

Open System Preferences>International>Language>Edit List>Check British English>Click OK>Drag British English to the top of the Languages list.

Now all programs will set British English as their default dictionary (handy for iWork and Adium spell check)!
Thanks freshj - this has been bugging me for ages!

badgerawai

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009

I only have ENGLISH no other english to choose from :(

Does anyone know why this is? I'm desperate to get English UK on my iworks pages...

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I only have ENGLISH no other english to choose from :(

Does anyone know why this is? I'm desperate to get English UK on my iworks pages...
You need to add British English to the list in System Preferences > International. If you can't add it, you may not have it installed (although it should be if you chose English as the system language when setting up your Mac). You may have to reinstall the system.

Attachments

aktizol

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I have only recently bought a Macbook Air and using the Pages application. I found it perfect for my academic writings. It is indeed very light and responsive compared to the MS Word. I had trouble with the dictionaries, as I couldn't find the way to change the dictionary language.

Thank you for the tip. It worked for me. :D

biallystock

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
The Australian Dictionary is a fraud, and a sop to Australian users. It is just the British dictionary. It won't even recognise anzac, Melbournian, goanna, lamington and vegemite.

The only reason it appears to recognise ANZAC or Anzac is that it ignores acronyms or capitalised subjects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.