iwork backwards compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Dec 4, 2010.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

i have all my files created in iwork8, i would like to know before purchasing iwork09 if are there any compatibilities issues. let me be more specific and explain what i mean, suppose i have this file in keynote09, can i use it in keynote08, and if so with what drawbacks?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Generally, data files are not necessarily backward compatible.
    A file from application X, revision 7.0 is not likely to work with Application X revision 6.0.
    However, the other way around usually works. Application X revision 7.0 will almost always read files from revision 6.0

This is not just an Apple issue; virtually all applications tend to do the same.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

yes i know and thanx oldwiz, i was just hoping that maybe from 09 to 08 there is an easy way to go, say a "save as" or an "export" that would be good. On the contrary my experience with adobe apps and especially indesign its horrific.One cannot go 2-3 versions back unless he has all the versions because from each there can be only one step back. Perhaps someone that uses 09 could be more specific

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

All three iWork '09 apps have the option to save a copy back to the respective iWork '08 format, but no further.

Keynote and Pages '08 can save a copy back to iWork '06 or '05 (Numbers was only released with iWork '08).

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

you see? thats what exactly i was afraid of, that it will only be able to go back 1 version, of course this issue dont really matter for me because i do have iwork08 but i cant help not expressing my sadness for this situation. To be honest i wasnt expecting Apple to act like Adobe did with Indesign CS5 regarding earlier version compatibility. :(

never the less, thanx FourCandles for the info ;)