iWork can save to dropbox now (!)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by akm3, Nov 3, 2013.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I don't know how long it's been this way, but I was able to open a .docx from Dropbox in Pages, and then save it back to Dropbox from Pages. That is new (to me) functionality that truly allows workflow without messing with DropDAV or other hack-feeling solutions.

The downside was that it mauled the word document, but it was fairly complex with check boxes and such that pages stripped out.

Still, the potential is very exciting.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

How did you save it back to Dropbox without DropDav? I just tried opening a file from Dropbox.app but I don't see how to save it back.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

In pages (at least, I didn't test numbers/keynote) you hit the 'share' button, choose 'open in another app', choose a format (picked word) and Dropbox is then a choice. You can then choose which folder to save to, and even rename the file.

I just tested numbers too, with excel as the format. Pretty sweet.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Just tried it. Great tip, thanks!

6. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

7. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

Being able to do a full round trip from Dropbox to pages back to Dropbox is huge for me. In docx format. Awesome.

Now if only had better compatibility with word :)

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

If there is already an existing file of the same name, does Dropbox overwrite it, or create a new copy? Can't test at the moment.

9. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

You can choose a different name. I didn't test it trying to overwrite yet. I'll try tonight.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

11. MyopicPaideia, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

What about the native Pages file format? Still no dice being able to even open the new file formats let alone save them back in the native iWork file formats?

12. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

No clue, I don't use native pages format.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

DropBox like apps are designed (fortunately) to accept a wide variety of formats. That being said, the answer to your question is yes if you're referring to the .pages the app makes. The app does not export to the old .pages.

14. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yes I am aware - we are using Dropbox for Business in our company. And actually the answer is still no if you are talking about the latest version of Pages, Numbers, or Keynote. Dropbox for iPad will save your file with a double suffix extension *.pages.zip using the method in this thread (i.e. a stop-gap solution that allows you to save, sync, and open the new iWorks file formats only on the mobile version of iWork. Try to access an iWork document created and saved to Dropbox from OSX and it is not given as an option to open with an iWork app - the same is true in the opposite direction, as the iOS iWork file is saved as a compressed archive on Dropbox.)

Files still in formats of the older versions of iWork continue to function normally.

15. Guntis macrumors member

Guntis

Just remove the .zip part in Finder and it will work just fine.

16. Razeus macrumors 601

LOL. I'm sure he could have used that info....4 months ago.

17. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Great News

Just tested this with a relatively simple word docx (bullet points about a page long). I sent the file to pages, it opened it (changed my font but that is almost inevitable) and was ready to go. I changed a couple words just as a test then saved it back into Dropbox with the same fill name. Dropbox asked if I wanted to replace the file or cancel much like word does when you try to overwrite. I selected replace and Dropbox immediately deleted the old file and put in the new one. As an added check I opened the same file on my imac in word 2011 and it was not altered in any way other than the font change and the two words I had changed as a test. Complete success!