iwork.com Feedback - Just sent this

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moredrunkmale, May 19, 2011.

1. moredrunkmale macrumors member

Not sure if you guys agree but just sent this off to Apple. Anyone have any thought or opinions on the below ideas and if they could be improved. Also i just wrote this at work so its very rushed and prob full of little erros, please dont judge me :(

a) direct URL directing, this is a service that would be very useful. For example if i have bought the domain "www.myname.com", i can setup (via my domain registrar) the sub domain 'pagesdocument1.myname.com'. What i would like to do is upload a document to iwork.com but as a private document, i.e. allowing people to add comments etc... but they can access the document via my re-directing url.

The way to achieve this is to require those desiring to access the private document i have uploaded, to sign into iwork.com using their apple Id, they should be able to easily create one on the iwork site if they do not currently have one.

Doing this will mean. 1) i can create easily rememberable URL redirectors for my various documents:

costsheet.myname.com
    profitandloss.myname.com
    conferencepresentation.myname.com

whilst not having to make the document 'public', and therefore disabling the ability for my friends to add comments.

Because the document is deemed 'private, but shared' it is imperative that only those i want to see the document can. i.e. i dont want the scenario whereby i create the re-directing url:

confidentialdata.myname.com

and this accidentally gets leaked, so any randomer can view the ddocument.

Therefore the document uploader needs access management controls. i.e. i should be able to send invitations to the uploaded document to existing Apple ID holders (i.e. to their apple ID email address, which they can simply log in with). If someone to whome i did not send a direct request to wants to access the document, . i.e. they type

confidentialdata.myname.com into their browser and either sign into Apple Id or create one, they will NOT be able to view the document, and instead can request permission to access. I shouls also beable to block access requests, so only I can ASK people to join in, they cant ask me to join. Also selective user access controls shouls be available, i.e. i should be able to say "Mike CAN add comments, but Jane cannot".

A big way of achieving this would be Mobile Me integration. If the Mobile Me platform allowed for domain hosting, you could easily create the subdomain for the iwork document. I.e. have Mobile Me synced with iwork.
    In pages you want to upload the document:

'2010 Finance Report'

you click 'upload to iwork.com, it sees you have a mobile me account WITH a personal domain attached, and asks 'create sub-domain or generate random URL' if you click create sub-domain you get:

[__________].yourdomainname.com

where the area inside the brackets is for entry of your subdomain.

After this dialogue box should be the invitation sending box, with various settings listed above.

b) (My second BIG request)

This one is much more simple. Please allow online document editing. doesn't need to be overly complex. Just standard text changes and number changes. I can foresee Keynote online editing to be MUCH MUCH more comples, and therefore dont worry too much about this, keep this in development. But surely Pages and Numbers should be fairly easy to implement for online editing.

Thanks

Regards

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't look like the kind of feedback anyone would feel obligated to respond to. It's not straightforward, poorly formatted, and generally unpolished.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm thinking moredrunkmale was pretty drunk when he wrote this post.

I'm not even sure what you are talking about. Your post is incoherent and lacks proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization.

4. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I think what the OP was trying to say what that he wanted to be able to upload his iWork documents to a subdomain on a MobileMe hosted website, which also had access controls so not just anybody could see it, but people with a certain Apple ID could. So iWork.com would be the same, just on a custom domain.

The OP also wants some basic document editing, such as Microsoft Live Web Apps.

Is that right OP?

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

Are you suggesting a separate subdomain for each file? That would be ridiculous. It would take a lot of server resources to handle that many subdomains, and the amount of time it would take for the dns propagation would be extremely frustrating.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I agree. This suggestion appears to be written by someone with no idea about the concept of subdomains, and what is involved in creating them.

How is Apple going to make subdomains based upon your domain name? Apple is not a domain registrar, and has no ability to make changes to the settings of your domain name.