iWork.com to be free for MM users?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by stofferdk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

When the rumours for iwork.com appeared, I was quite pleased and sure that MobileMe subscribers would get access to the features in our me.com panel.

Since there was no mention of bonding the two services at macworld, I take it we have to pay another fee to access those services.

Any thoughts or intel?

2. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I assume they will be merged when iWork.com passed the beta stage.

But of course, assumption is the mother of all ... you know.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

we don't know yet.. all we know is that it will be a fee based service..

that could change, could not.. we just don't know..

may be free for MM users, may not...

just have to wait.. use the beta

4. kolax macrumors G3

I'd bloody hope so. Given Apple enough money for MobileMe. Think for them to expect us to pay for iWork.com would be pushing it.

If they included it in MobileMe, it would push people to buy iWork 09.

Then again, you could argue that people will only want iWork.com and not MobileMe. So, it should be part of MobileMe's package and as a separate deal.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't anticipate it being free for MM users, but that would be nice. Perhaps it will be free (if only for a year) to those who buy iWork '09.

6. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Feel the same way. I really do love MobileMe - but the fee is insane compared to the services made available. Only have MobileMe because everything apple just works together.

I dont see iWork.com being cheaper standalone than MobileMe anyway, so I really think they should make 1 package, and no standalone deals. Make it simple. With iWork.com included, MobileMe really is a wonderful deal for the current price.

7. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

MobileMe users have yet to get all the features promised by Apple at the switch from .Mac. Do you really expect them to give us iWork.com? If they do it would surprise me...

If I promise my customers something and don't deliver, I loose my customers (I have 30-years experience at satisfying customers)...

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can see Apple charging $20 for iWork as an add-on.

9. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry - what features are still due besides push mac-syncing?

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Highly doubtful that it will be free but we can only hope. The worldwide recession is certainly going to have to play on Apple's minds when it starts pricing products...

11. Alfie macrumors member

When I first heard of iWork.com, I was hoping it would be integrated with Me.com as well. However, after seeing what it is, I'm not sure it's the right fit at this time. With the Mobile Me online apps, everything is editable...calendars, address book, mobile me gallery, etc. However, the iWork documents sent to iWork.com are not editable online. I don't see much point in having a separate panel in Mobile Me for documents you can't do much with.

I also think it's smart to keep iWork and Mobile Me separate until Mobile Me is rock solid. It's a lot closer than it was 6 months ago, but it's not there yet.

Someday when they upgrade the iWork apps with the ability to edit them online, I could see it becoming an added benefit of the Mobile Me package.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I just looked at Apple's website and now I'm convinced it will be free...with the purchase of iWork '09.

As it's a public beta and you have to have iWork '09 to use it, I don't see any way they would choose to charge for it (at least until it's out of beta). I also don't see how they could include it as part of MobileMe, since it's only a sharing platform (not a creation or editing platform) and it requires owning iWork '09 to use it. It actually seems like a pretty useless service to me, but I guess they're aiming for the business side of things and they're thinking they can sell this as a way to do better conference calls and web-based presentations.

10.5.6 added push (or something very close to it) to MobileMe updates done on a Mac (rather than on the iPhone or the web). The only feature I can think of that was promised but is still unavailable is large file sharing, where you send a unique URL to someone, rather than a link to your public drive (or the file itself). Even though I share large files from my iDisk regularly, I'm not really missing that feature. The Public folder works fine for me.

13. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

iDisk file share as explained in the keynote and on apples website. One of the biggest promises of Me....