iWork Compatibility Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kuebby, Sep 12, 2007.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm considering getting iWork 08 and I was wondering about compatibility with other programs, specifically MS Office.

What format does iWork save in?

Is it possible to save in .doc format?

Can iWork open .doc's that I already have (apple.com says it will "import" them but I'm not really clear on what that means)?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Short answers: Because it's a suite, iWork's applications have their own formats. So Pages saves as "pages" as a default; you can export a document as a Word doc by choosing "File-Export." Ditto for Keynote and Numbers.

I have had zero trouble opening Office docs in iWork and vice-versa, though I am not using the more advanced graphics capabilities of iWork.

Bob

5. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Thank you. That answers my question. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, especially since it's only $39 for me.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You're welcome!

I like it a lot--more intuitive than Office, and since no one can tell I've switched, I'm not telling anyone, either!

Recommended you bet! (Yes, I know that is AWFUL grammar!)

Bob

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive had issues with exporting to excel. made it look really bad so be careful lol

8. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Thanks for the tip. Fortunately the only thing I really ever use is Word which is why I'm still debating the switch. That and I'm a new college student, I don't have money to just throw around if I don't really need the upgrade.