iWork for iCloud Beta Apps Now Accessible Without an Apple Device

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple on Thursday made Pages, Numbers and Keynote accessible to users without an Apple device through iCloud Beta. Starting last night, anyone can sign up for an Apple ID to access the trio of iWork for iCloud beta apps for free. Each account comes with 1GB of complimentary iCloud storage for use with the productivity software.

[​IMG]

While the offer is currently limited to the iCloud Beta website, it is likely that Apple will rollout the feature to the regular version in the future. To create a free Apple ID account, navigate to iCloud Beta and click on the get started link in the top banner to begin the signup process.

Apple introduced iWork for iCloud at WWDC 2013, bringing Pages, Numbers and Keynote to the web. After receiving "overwhelming response," Apple eventually opened the service to all users a few months later. iWork for iCloud has been steadily improved since then with interactive charts, an updated design, expanded language support and more.

Article Link: iWork for iCloud Beta Apps Now Accessible Without an Apple Device

2. merzolin macrumors newbie

Great, now anyone gets 1GB of free storage. But as someone who owns a Macbook, iPad and iPhone I still don´t get more than 5GB.

3. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Give it a few minutes for MacRumors users to poke holes in this news.

4. star-affinity macrumors 65816

star-affinity

I agree Apple should offer more iCloud storage for people who have bought Apple devices. 5 GB is a bit cheap this day an age.

5. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

At least 5 GB per device.

6. Mac'em X macrumors member

Mac'em X

"...1GB of complimentary iCloud storage..."

I love complimentary storage. "Hey, this is your storage here. You're lookin' sharp today!"

7. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Uncomplimentary storage would riducule you if you are using Windows.

8. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

How would that work for people who buy and sell these devices?

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Smart move. A little unexpected, considering Apple's previous way of doing things. So finally good news for all.

10. DanielDD macrumors 6502

If you have your iCloud account connected that device, you get the storage. Log off, and you won't get it anymore.

11. reese2147 macrumors regular

This is non-news. Apple is way too late to this game for offering "free" web versions of their productivity suite.

1GB is laughable.... especially considering the extremely inferior product iWork is.

12. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

Yep.

13. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

Nothing has changed since 2006 when i got my first Mac which was white plastic macbook. Wifi problems always.

14. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Good luck Microsoft.
    Nearly no presence in smartphones. Latest iPhone sales suggest this will drop in the year to come.
    Major products Windows and Office are competing with OS's and productivity suites given away for free from two of the best capitalized and most innovative companies in the world (Google and Apple).

OEM hardware makers are unable to sell their high end devices in sufficient volume to compete on design and build quality with Apple, so high end of market seems to have moved nearly entirely to Mac. Devices like Retina iMac are coming out and months or possibly even a year later there is no sign of a competing product.
    One fairly nice tablet hybrid form factor in the Surface that has semi-decent sales.
    One fairly nice home console that is slightly underpowered compared to its rival, but is being propped up by Microsoft paying for software exclusives. And the hardware is sold at a loss.

15. wilhelmer macrumors member

Hi Mac!
    Hi Windows user, welcome to our world!
    What a beautiful house! May I take a seat?
    Sure! Oh, please don't step into the living room, but feel free to use our toilet!

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

17. viorelgn macrumors 6502

viorelgn

18. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

19. ephemeralreason macrumors regular

ephemeralreason

Totally agree: 5gb is weak.

20. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

21. Starship77 macrumors regular

Starship77

Why?

I use it everyday for home stuff and I really like it. I've never used Excel, tho... Could you explain the disadvantages in Numbers? Thank you.

22. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Awesome!! my documents in the cloud, and now I can access it without apple devices. A win solution for me to continue using pages.

23. mic j macrumors 68030

No autofilter.

24. 2457282 Suspended

There is only one thing that I miss in Numbers and that is Pivot Tables. If Numbers addressed that I would be good. There are other things like macros or scripting that others will complain about, but I have never used those features.

25. TallGuyGT macrumors 6502

TallGuyGT

Why would anyone who doesn't own an Apple Device want to use iCloud? If you're an Android or Windows user, Google and Microsoft offer services that much better integrate with their devices.

I guess this is nice of Apple, but can't see any non-Apple users actually taking them up on their offer.