iWork for Mac and iCloud

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jeaz, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

As iCloud made it's big entrance to the world yesterday with updates to the iWork for iOS apps to support it, no attention was made to the Mac versions.

It got me thinking and I came to the conclusion that the way iCould works, it's not really "compatible" with a standard file system. Since iCloud is all per-app syncing and iWork for Mac is using the old fashioned way to manage files, it just not an easy fix.

Which makes me think that we won't see iCould support until iWork '12 (or whatever it'll be called), sporting a completely new, in-app way, so manage your documents.

Just my thoughts anyway. Hope they bring out that update soon since it's well overdue for a new version of iWork.

2. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

True true.

I also wonder how they will do it pricing-wise.

3. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is the only problem right now. I love iCloud synching but if it can't interface with my Mac apps too it will severely limit it's usefulness.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Also wouldn't the file formats for the Mac version be more feature rich compared to the pocket iOS versions of the same documents. It sounds like there is a conversion process.

5. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

You're right... I remember there were some features in Numbers that didn't translate over when I copied a file to my iPad.

I suspect we'll be waiting on the iOS versions to become more advanced as well as for Apple to implement some file management solution within the individual Mac apps. With iWork's past release schedule, I'm not going to be holding my breath either :p

6. Jeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jeaz

Indeed, if it wasn't for the iOS versions of iWork, I'd have said that iWork was all but abandoned by Apple now.

As I see it, iWork still has a lot promise.
    I find Keynote a lot more enjoyable to use over Powerpoint, Numbers is ok for certain things and Pages just down right poor in comparison to Word.

7. Vegerot, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Vegerot macrumors member

Vegerot

Uggh, that sucks. Imagine when Apple makes ALL their apps on all their devices iCloud compatible. With everything from Pages to iTunes, iChat, even System Preferences will be compatible.

The coolest thing, imagine when Apple allows developers to use iCloud?! So things like your Angry Birds progress, video-game progress, etc. EVERYTHING will be the same on ALL of your devices. This is the future of technology.

I was always wondering why iWork doesn't have its own Publisher thing. But doesn't Pages to the work of both Word (perhaps not as good, though), AND Publisher?

8. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

This is how it is now. We're just waiting for app developers to adopt it.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

I hope they update the current one because I just bought it about a month ago... we'll see I guess.

10. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

I think that the conundrum for The iWork teams is figuring out how to make the Mac Apps "just work" regardless of whether a user is connected to Internet or not.
    On ios devices it's not much of an issue as mobile users are online most of the time. With a Mac user, that's a dangerous assumption to make.

11. felixen macrumors 6502a

wow this is really disappointing. I figured it did support iCloud until I read this. It's stupid and pointless. They should have put in support when they already updated it for Lion features.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

What I don't understand is, they discontinued iDisk and didn't add in iCloud support.....so now you have to go back to emailing docs to yourself....needs to be fixed.

13. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

That's where I've used iWork.com beta more and more. It's been pretty convenient.