iWork goes free?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by daywiz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. daywiz macrumors regular

In yesterday's keynote Apple announced that iWork suite is free. But does anyone if there is any interface changes to the app? new features, new looks anything at all. It was kind of surprising that they didn't say anything about the changes, except pricing. Does this mean its going to remain untouched from before? Or can we expect some updates post-18th?

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

We can thank Microsoft for applying some pressure with the Office suite on Surface. My guess is that the free versions will come as-is and that they are working on something else to be announced down the line.

It seems that iWork and iLife are a bit long in the tooth. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Not yet. It looked the same in the keynote. We were told new OS X versions are coming at WWDC, and the new iCloud versions are coming, so I have a feeling the iWork team just hasn't gotten to it yet.

4. daywiz thread starter macrumors regular

Guess it could take a while then. But if the OS X version is spicing up, don't you think they would at least work on some aspects of the iOS version. I

5. shandyman Suspended

Apparently iWork is only free to new devices activated after 1st September 2013. Which sucks

6. jflash07 macrumors member

Anyone else annoyed?

I find it a bit strange that they would only give iWork apps out free to new devices... wouldn't they want to pull in all devices to help promote the use of their apps? I get that there has to be a cut off point, but I got my phone a few months ago and bought Pages... wouldn't they want me to use Keynote and Numbers versus use Google Drive etc?

Other thoughts?

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Making iWorks free makes sense from both a value-add perspective for new devices and from the fact that they are simply not updated to be proper iOS7 apps yet (and probably won't be for another year).

8. scottish macrumors 6502a

I agree. When I get my new iPhone will I be able to download the apps to my ipad also? If not, I won't be using them.

9. g35 macrumors 6502a

If you get a new iOS device and download the free iWork apps, couldn't you just sync them over to your old iOS devices through iTunes? (as long as you use the same Apple ID)

How would they prevent this?

10. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

I don't think they care about this since it's just like on the Mac. Buy a new Mac, register the iLife apps to your Apple ID and then you can download the iLife apps on the Mac App Store on your other Macs.

11. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

As long as you buy a "new" device, you just made Apple smile. They wouldnt care how many of your own device you had installed it on.