iWork/iLife iOS 7 updates?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WeegieMac, Sep 15, 2013.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Is it likely that we'll see new iWork/iLife app updates for iOS 7?

I was watching the keynote again earlier and noticed that when Tim was talking about these apps and the deal to get them free with new devices that the screen behind him showed the current icons and current UI.

Surely these will be updated for iOS 7, but then why not just use the keynote as an opportunity to show the new design off, because after all there was a screenshot of many of the apps being updated to support/look like iOS 7.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

They are likely still working on the design and did not have them ready to show off. Who knows how long it will takes, likely a few weeks to a few months.

3. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I think we might see an update in the coming week. They'll probably have been updated and "optimised for the iPhone 5s" in some way or another. They might have been updated to take advantage of the 64-bit processor, especially the iLife apps.

iWork might get a compatibility update but the big update will probably come later in the year when they announce the new iWork suite (that was mentioned at WWDC).

4. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, I mean it would make sense to assume they'll overhaul the UI and give them icons in line with the rest of their 'stock' apps. I own all four (iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, and Numbers) already and use them extensively for various projects/work.

When Tim was standing there and the new iOS 7 inspired "iWork" icon came on screen I thought we'd see a sneak of the new look.

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

We might have to wait to iPad 5 until hey are updated. Shame

6. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

So maybe there will be an iOS7 version that will only be compatible with the newest devices and THAT is what should be free.

7. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Out of interest, why do you feel they should give these apps to everyone for free, if that is indeed what you're suggesting?

8. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I got a bit giddy when I saw the new iWork logo!

As I said I think we will see new apps on Wednesday with optimisations and bu fixes, but I don't think well see a full-blown overhaul (just yet).

9. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, new icons would be a nice start (same as we've seen a new Find My iPhone icon but not the new UI which we seen a sneak peak at during WWDC's keynote).

I know in my other thread I spoke about putting my iPad 4 back onto iOS 6 and I've since tried three methods of installing iOS 7 GM to prove to some that I didn't "do it wrong" to get the niggling 'bugs' ... however, I've still not gone back to iOS 6 again. I love iOS 7, the look and the features are superb and I may well decide to just ride out the niggles rather than go back again (and to be honest, I've had enough today of watching iOS devices restore!).

Also, when you use iOS 7 with all the third party (and iWork/iLife apps) just now they look so out of place (obviously). The reverse will happen to those who update their apps come Wednesday and beyond when the Great App Update begins. It'll be the stock iOS 6 apps which look out of place among the new look apps, although I hope game developers don't make their titles icons too basic ... I like some game artwork on those icons!

10. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Only people with the devices they mentioned. I have a new iPod 5. They said whoever has one get it free

11. anshuvorty macrumors 6502

anshuvorty

Clarification: apple mentioned that whoever BUYS a NEW iOS device will get the iWork suite for free. It's NOT FREE for existing owners of iOS devices.

12. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Apple has been really lazy lately in redesigning different software to be more consistent.

13. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Thats what I was thinking.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

The icons should atleast be updated to go with ios 7.

15. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I'm 100% sure we will see the iOS 7 versions of the 6 apps on the iPad 5 keynote next month.

16. matttye macrumors 601

Hope so.

But more important than the GUI, when the heck will we be able to create templates in Pages?! This is desperately needed IMO.

17. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

I reckon there'll be an update for iWork/iLife for Mac when Mavericks is released. New versions of the iOS and iWork for iCloud will have been programmed to work with these new versions, and would probably give away the features of the new software.

They'll update the iOS apps when the iWork/iLife for Mac apps are updated (which will probably be when Mavericks is updated). :)