iPad iWork/iLife suite after restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Epiphron, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Epiphron macrumors regular

Anyone know if it's possible to get the free iWork/iLife suite after restoring from a backup? Just got a new iPad Air and after restoring from my previous iPads backup, it still seems to charge me for the suite :confused:

2. stridemat, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I'm in the same boat. No freebies for me at the moment :(

I'm probably doing something wrong. Any clues?

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I got them with the iPhone 5S, but having a senior moment, I can't remember what I did. If you look in the iPhone forum from around the time when the 5S came out, there are threads discussing this topic.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Cheers.

It's because I restored from a back up soot missed that stage of the activation whereby the option is given to download free apps.

I will head over there now.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, that's the thing, I can't remember if I downloaded the free apps before I restored from backup, or if I restored from backup first and still managed to download them for free somehow. But a lot of 5S (and 5C) owners were asking how to get the apps for free, and I'm pretty certain there is a way to do it even if you restore from backup first. Good luck locating the relevant threads!

6. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can get them for free. I had an iPad 3. I bought an Air and restored from my last iPad 3 backup.

I was then able to download the entire iLife and iWork suite for free . Note that some of the apps in the suite initially showed as not free. Only garageband was showing up as free at first. After I downloaded garageband the others showed up as free finally (I also may have rebooted though).

So see if any of the 6 apps are free and download any that are. If not, reboot and try again. It eventually worked for me. I may have even clicked on the price button, but then backed out of it and tried again (and it was free on the next search within the app store). By the way, garageband took forever to install.

And my wife who has an iPad 2 now has the suite for free (as we share the same iTunes login).

7. bhaasie macrumors newbie

Use the AppStore on iPad and not through iTunes. You should see them for free to DL. Thanks

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I restored my iPhone 5S from my iPhone 5 back up and was able to download them for free after. I did download them directly from the App Store app on my phone rather then iTunes though. Now I have fortunately I don't need to worry about downloading them again for free on the Air.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well I have tried all the above and they are still listed at RRP. Guess I am going to have to cal Apple.