iWork & iLife

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by KKStoklund, Oct 31, 2013.

1. KKStoklund macrumors newbie

KKStoklund

Hey guys,

I just bought a new mac with Mavericks and with it I got iLife and iWork preinstalled. I was just wondering, in the future if I want to format my hard drive and reinstall iLife & iWork how do I get it again without paying for it. When I bought my mac the software was preinstalled, but will it be available to me for free in the app store? And can I install it for free on my older macbook as well?

Thanks ;)

2. dkl macrumors member

I think it should be linked to your Apple ID account...

3. KKStoklund thread starter macrumors newbie

KKStoklund

Alright, thanks ;)

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

If it is as it was on Lion and Mountain Lion, the apps that come with a new machine are NOT tied to an Apple ID.

If you format your HD and use Cmd + r (Recovery mode) to reinstall the OS, you should be able to download these apps from the App Store : they will show in the "Purchases" tab not as "Purchased", but rather as "To Accept".

This is, at least, how it worked on Lion and Mountain Lion.

And no, you can't install them on another computer : they are linked to the machine they came with (which is "seen" by Apple servers thanks to its serial number).

5. Bear macrumors G3

When you first run App Store, it should ask for an Apple ID to associate the iLife and iWork licenses with. That is if it works the same as it did in the past.

When you get a new Mac with iLife pre-installed (Mountain Lion for sure) when you first run App Store/Software Update, it asks for an Apple ID so it can register the licenses of the pre-installed iLife software. I saw this when I saw a new iMac being setup earlier this year.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This does not link the iLife apps to your ID : you won't be able to download them again from another computer. (Lion and Mountain Lion).

If you erase the disk, reinstall the OS via Recovery mode, sell the computer, the new owner will be able to download the iLife apps ("You have 3 apps to accept") when he logs in the App Store with HIS Apple ID, not yours.

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It doesn't work like that. I have downloaded and installed iLife 11 on an Early '09 whitebook using my Apple ID based on the acceptance of the Apps on my rMBP.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Then I am happy I am wrong, since its actually good news.

9. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

yeah I think the NEW ilife/iWork apps are tied to your Apple ID now.

I only had the DVD version of iWork installed on my iMac, my MBP showed them as needing to be paid for on the app store. As soon as I updated on my iMac (for free) they instantly showed as Purchased on the MBP.

10. KKStoklund thread starter macrumors newbie

KKStoklund

I guess Apple has started linking the apps to your Apple Id.. I was able to freely install all iWork and iLife apps on my 2009 macbook pro after registering my new late 2013 macbook pro to my apple id..