iWork included with Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Red Carbon, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Red Carbon macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I'm not all together sure if this is the right thread for this, but anyway, here goes. I'm thinking about buying Leopard for my 20" iMac, however, I'm not really sure if iWork is included on it. When I bought the it back in August, it came pre-installed with Tiger (obviously ) however I didn't realize iWork was not included. Anyway, I basically just want to know if iWork and all its apps are included on Leopard. I really want to get Leopard, but I don't exactly want to spend $130 on it and then have to spend another $80 on iWork (which I basically want for Numbers and Keynote). Any help is appreciated.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Unfortunately, no. :(

iWork is a separate purchase which is not tied to your OS, so you can use iWork with Tiger or Leopard.

A cautionary note, however, if you're looking to upgrade to Leopard, give it another couple of weeks. 10.5.2 should be out soon, and I suspect a lot of the current bugs will be ironed out by then. No sense in giving yourself an unnecessary headache. :)

3. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

You can pick up a copy of iWork on eBay for cheap. Just make sure they have good feedback.

4. Red Carbon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I figured as much. I guess I'll just have to shell out the $ for both then. I wasn't planning on buying it for another couple of weeks anyway, so that works out fine. Would you say though, in all honesty, Leopard is worth the money? Is it really that different from Tiger?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, but you will get a free, fully-functional 30-day trial version.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I find some aspects of Leopard terrific, namely:

1) Quicklook- a real time saver when I have several presentations/documents to go through. I think it's my favorite new feature of Leoaprd.

2) Time Machine- honestly, I wasn't the most diligent backup-er before Leopard. :eek:

Other than that, a few features are neutral for me, but you might like them:

1) Coverflow- it looks nice, but not really all that useful. I still stick to icon view. :eek:

2) Dock- After I changed it using a file(available on MR, I'll look for it if you'd like it) it wasn't so bad. The original was kind of bad though. The new lights underneath are nice though; I find it easier to see which apps are running now compared to before (although this is because I changed the Dock; the original actually made it more difficult).

7. dtyson macrumors member

What CalBoy said.

I'll add that, while I think Leopard is very nice, the one feature that stands out as a dud for me, which I used incessantly and was quite reliable in Tiger, is Spotlight.

I think it's abhorrent in Leopard and have no idea why they changed it at all. It ran great in Tiger. It produced reliable results in Tiger. It was perfect (in my estimation).

In Leopard, it's really bad - both functionally and visually (when one clicks "Show All").

Oh, and like others have said - iWork '08 will not come on your Leopard discs. It's included on the system disc that came with your machine as a 30-day trial. You can activate the trial by purchasing it and just putting in the code.

I think iWork '08 is fantastic, although Numbers leaves a little to be desired when one is opening or working with a large spreadsheet. It can get bogged down and dead slow very quickly. Pages and Keynote are absolute winners, though. Makes it all worth it.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just to be clear, the trial is fully activated for 30 days without purchasing a code.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Leopard certainly is a step in the right direction. My favorite features are: Time Machine, Spaces, Cover Flow, The New Dock, Stacks, Dashboard and Safari. Time Machine is so easy to use it's incredible I don't even have to do anything just plug in the drive and it goes all by itself. Spaces are so wonderful I suck at organization and it does it all for me, wonderful feature.

Stacks keeps my desktop clean To be honest I hate things on my desk top stacks solves this for me I only have my Hard drive that's it.

Cover FLow Maybe my brain is activated by pictures i don't know but i just find it easier to find things with this feature.

Dock: I love the dock it looks so nice I never really liked tiger's dock but leopards it awesome the lights underneath look nice.

Despite some issues I like leopard. I think you will too.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

What version of iworks came pre-installed with your imac? IIRC, Iworks 08 was released in early august and you say you bought your imac in august? If you're going from Tiger to Leopard, you can of course keep or reinstall the copy of iworks that came with your imac.

11. Red Carbon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion, but I actually didn't have iWork pre-installed. I must have been pretty tired last night. :)

Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone! I think I'll definitely get Leopard now, although I'm bummed to hear that Spotlight isn't as good as it was on Tiger. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to find a file for the life of me, and Spotlight would find it instantly. It's a really great feature.

Are there any performance differences in Leopard that I should know about (good or bad)?

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you have certain printes/scanners, there have been some issues. In particular, the HP c4280 had some scanning issues (I can assure you that myself ;) :eek:) but HP has issued a driver update for it, so it's been settled.

Other printers/scanners might have trouble, but I advise you to check out that company's website for updates. I think by now most of them have solved any issues.

Also, Coconut Battery still doesn't work for me with Leopard, but that's only important if you have a notebook. For now it's System Profiler and iStat Pro FTW. :)

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No problem -- you can also download the trial version!

14. Red Carbon thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I've found a way to get the full version, so that solves that problem!