iWork information please!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Googon, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Googon macrumors member

Alright, so when I was I was buying my MacBook Pro, I made sure that I could either pick the iWork 2008, or Microsoft Office for Mac. I chose iWork. I hear it is a LOT better. I watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems to be way better than Microsoft Office 2008. I already have Microsoft Office 2007, and it seemed like a glossed up version of 2003, with barely any new features.

So did I make the right choice here? iWork seems like it has a lot to offer, what are the pros and cons of each?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'll get many varying options on the issue.

I like them both, each for various activities.

For example, I will never again touch PowerPoint after using Keynote, which is vastly superior in every way. I use Pages for brochures and other publisher-like documents, but I do, however, stick with MS Word for simple text documents. I don't care for Numbers much, so I use Excel (although Numbers makes great graphs and charts).

Since you already have it, try it. :)

3. Googon thread starter macrumors member

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I definitely agree with Eric in regards to Keynote. If Apple did anything RIGHT with their iWork productivity suite, Keynote is what they did right. I left Powerpoint a long while ago in favor of Keynote. It's very compatible with Powerpoint presentations and it offers so much more. I use Pages and Numbers as well. I don't do calculations, I just use Numbers for reading Excel spreadsheets so numbers works great for me.

If you already have MS Office 2007 then just get iWork for the Mac, you won't regret it.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I use both

I use both of them. I'll never use PowerPoint again, after using Keynote. For book reports/school assignments, I use Word 2008, because I just find Word better suited to that kind of stuff. On the rare occasion that I need to make a spread sheet, I'll use Excel. When I have to make flyers/posters I use Pages, because IMO it's better suited to that kind of thing. I would get both if you can afford it. If you can only get one, get Office, it's more compatible w/ the Windoze world. iWork can have issues with formating when converting to Office files, or when reading Office files.

Don

6. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I prefer Microsoft Word 2008. I think it is amazing and I got it for $10. w00t!

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I picked up Neooffice and iWork family pack this past spring. I had Office 2003 at work and I considered getting Office 2008 as a third option for dealing with Office docs. At work, they "upgraded" us from 2003 to 2007. What a mess. Those ribbons require about triple the clicks to get routine things done. There are bugs that make my work more difficult. I decided to make do with Neooffice and iWork at home indefinitely. Later, I heard that Office 2008 didn't use the lame ribbon thing and I thought about it again, briefly. For now I'm sticking with neooffice and iwork. So far, I've been able to live with my decision and it is unlikely I will fork over $150 for Office because there are 4 users here and you only get 3 users at that price. For me to cover all 4 users here, I would have to fork over $300 to M$. Ain't gonna happen. Here are some tradeoffs I noticed:

Keynote vs Office vs Neooffice -- Keynote is the clear winner though occasionally there are files Neooffice can open accurately that Keynote cannot.

Numbers vs Excel vs Neoffice/Calc -- Excel would be the winner here. Numbers and Calc don't quite measure up to Excel when dealing with large spreadsheets with thousands of rows. But I decided to live with it rather than deal with Office. I find Neoffice Calc does a better job of opening and saving Excel docs than does Numbers. I should be able to pick xls as the default file save format. I really should.

Pages vs Word vs Neoofice/Writer --- Here, once again, Word could be the winner. But the compromises posed by Pages and Writer aren't that big a deal. I find Neooffice Writer does a better job of opening and saving Word docs than does Pages. Once again, I should be able to pick doc as the default file format.

90% of the people I email things to cannot see anything but ppt, xls, doc and pdf. That whole "export" dialog in iWork to save documents in formats readable by 90% of the people in the world is a joke.

Then along comes price and a clear winner emerges: Neooffice. It's free, works reasonably well and reads and writes Office files natively. Bravo! In second place is iWork which costs around a hundred bucks for a family pack of 5 licenses. Not bad at all. Bringing up the rear is M$ Office 2008. At $150 for the least expensive edition, you only get 3 copies. Clearly the "family pack" is a concept M$ hasn't heard of. If you're deciding what to get and you just bought iWork, at $20 per user you clearly didn't make a mistake. Even M$ Office isn't that bad of a deal at $50 per user if you use all 3 licenses. But the best way to get Office capability on your Mac instantly for FREE is Neooffice. Whenever I set up a new Mac, the first 3 programs I install are Quicksilver, Neooffice and Gimp.