Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's iPhone media event, Apple announced that its iWork app suite, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote will be provided for free to customers who purchase a new iOS device. iLife apps iPhoto and iMovie are also included for free, though it appears Garageband will not be bundled into the deal.

According to Apple, the software will be available for free with the purchase of a new iPad, iPhone, or fifth-generation iPod touch.

iwork_free.jpg
"We think that iWork is a really key advantage for our customers' productivity, and iPhoto and iMovie are great for creativity," said Tim Cook. "Almost all of our customers want these apps."

Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are normally a $9.99 download from the App Store, while iMovie and iPhoto are priced at $4.99.

Article Link: iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie for iOS Go Free with Purchase of a New Device

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
awesome. but not redeemable for recently purchased devices?

oh,
"10:20 am All apps will now be free. iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote."

Seems like its not specific to just new devices? theyre just free in general?

If so, thats awesome

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This will certainly increase the marketshare of these apps, some because of increased use and some because people will install them whether or not they use them.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's value added software with little effort. It sounds a little desperate but they should have done this in the first place.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
oooo yeahhh... this will really sets apart iOS & Apple from other mobile OS.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Since I already have an iPad Mini will I still have to pay for iWork etc?

That's how I interpreted it anyway. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks!

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
That's how I interpreted it anyway. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks!

That's the question I have. Following the live event feed, it was described as free for all iOS 7 users. However, every article seems to allude to it being only on new devices?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
At 1:54pm: Bah! I already bought them all. Will I get a store credit???

No.

At 2:11pm: Bah! I already bought them all. Will I get a store credit???

Still no. [Mod note: Fixed :)]

-----

My idea:

Erase and restore, sign in, download all apps free when prompted.

Erase and restore again, restore from backup, re-download them from your Purchase history.

Last edited by a moderator:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I am guessing it is not tied to an Apple ID but a Device ID.

I too have an iPad and iPhone (and wife too) and wonder if my Free Apps on the new phone will transfer to the others. Would be great if it did, but thinking that it wont since that is another "enticing" feature to buy a new phone.

Stinks as wife just bought the iPhone 5 last month and the iPad is still a good device and not worthy (yet) of an upgrade.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Looks like just for new devices, but will people who have those new devices get it added to their account so they can be downloaded on other iOS devices on the same account?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
awesome. but not redeemable for recently purchased devices?

oh,
"10:20 am All apps will now be free. iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote."

Seems like its not specific to just new devices? theyre just free in general?

If so, thats awesome

My guess is that they will be free but you'll have to have iOS 7.

Which will prompt someone to file a lawsuit over having paid for them blah blah

I just hope they aren't preloaded.

joelfriedman

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Washington, DC
But can you collaborate with iWork?

I'd like to know if they will allow iWork collaboration like Google does with Google Docs, that's what I'm waiting for. No man (or woman) is an island, you know?

Anyone heard anything about this?

Best,

Joel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.