Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

email68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
My dad upgraded his mac with SL.

After he did his iWork and iLife started lagging really bad. When he opens a large numbers spreadsheet, it takes a very long time to load. Activity monitor shows 98% use and application not responding. If you wait long enough it completes. Also when goes to print there are the same types of delays. It takes like 45 seconds for the print window to open.

When we log into another user and access the same file, everything works fine.

I've tried to delete all the plist files out of his user library. I searched for everything iwork and removed them all to another folder. Still had the problem.

Now we find his iMovie really slow as well. Not sure if its related.

Any ideas on what the next steps are would be great.

Thanks

-Tim

email68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Is the 98% overall CPU usage or just CPU usage for iWork itself?

You got me there. When I run activity monitor and sort by CPU, as I watch the %CPU column it jumps to 98% and stays there during the delay of numbers opening or printing.

It also shows application not responding. If you right click on the dock icon for numbers it shows the Force Quit option.

After around 45 seconds or so, it opens the spreadsheet.

email68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Try emptying the caches folder in his user library folder, and remove the app support folders for those apps.

Are you suggesting moving everything out of the cache folder or just look for things related to Numbers?

Where are the app support folders you mention?

Thanks
-Tim

email68

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Gave it a shot. No workie.:)

iLife and iWork are very laggy under one user name. When ran from another user log in it works fine.

How do I completely remove the iWork files (and iLife) files from the bad user profile?

Thanks

-Tim

Neotyguy40

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
I would delete that user profile and then run it up again. That way it will go back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.