iWork, MS Office, or OpenOffice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbachandouris, May 17, 2010.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I am almost ready to buy a MBP 13", but I am wondering what 'Office' suite is recommended. Obviously, MS Office is the most expensive, but wouldn't iWork be better for a Mac? And what about OpenOffice?

2. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What? This question gets asked multiple times on a weekly basis (especially between now and the fall when students start buying machines for the next academic year). Until the next version of Mac (or Windows) Office, iWork, or OpenOffice rolls around, there's not much else to add to the debate. The search results link to threads from the past year, so the majority will be relevant.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

MS, more likely to not have compatibility problems with others :]

5. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Thank you for being patient. I appreciate it.

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Office in bootcamp or VM is the best way. I had Office for windows already, then bought office for mac. Well I boot into windows when I need to actually use office. If just typing some quick notes, word for mac or textedit will do. Hopefully the next version of office for mac will be better

7. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Well, I will still be keeping my Windows laptop with Office on it, so maybe I will go iWorks for now and see how that goes. In a pinch, I can use the PC.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For me Pages and Numbers is weaker compared to Word and Excel, respectively; however the presentations created with Keynote is amazing.

That said, Office on Mac does not support macros, so it's still behind compared to the Windows standard.

9. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

I choose to use both however in saying that I would suggest trying them both out. Overall you can export your pages doc to a word doc however on the rare occasion you can have a couple of small issues. Out of habit i use office all the time but im trying to change that. Keep in mind that Office 2011 will be out soon plus my guess is iworks 10 or 11 will be out soon as well. iWorks offers a free trial if you want to get in and have a look.