iWork Numbers - Formula Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steve77uk, Jul 21, 2011.

1. steve77uk macrumors regular

Hello

I am new to numbers and new to formulas in general so need some help (please bear with me).

I have just set up my own company and what I am trying to achieve is this, I want to create a spreadsheet which tells me how many hours I work each week and if that week totals/equals over 40 hours a week I want the next column to tell me how many extra hours that is.

I have my week having a total cell at the end, such as G4 = 41.

Another table has the contracted hours set to 40.

I then want H4 (next to G4) to tell me the number 1, or if I work 45, I want it to calculate 5.

I can then lead on to how much that cumulates to over the course of the month.

Is this a simple thing to achieve? Can anyone recommend some good formula sites?

Thanks in advance,

Steve :)

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

enter something like this in H4:

=X3-G4

= indicates that you are entering a formula
    X3 is the cell reference of the "40" cell - you don't say what that was
    You may need to reference the table name of the "40" cell - I don't remember how to do that, but I think that Numbers will give you a cell picker as soon as you enter the "=".

just google for Numbers formulas and you should be fine. There is also the built-in help.

3. steve77uk thread starter macrumors regular

Hello, thanks for the reply, however what I am after is for that 'extra' overtime hours to only contain an entry if over 40 hours are worked.

I think after playing around for a while I may have cracked it in the fact of having:

=IF(Total Daily Total>Admin :: B2,Total Daily Total-Admin :: B2,)

Attached Files: