iWork Numbers - Formula with Category

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrCheeto, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I have a list of expenses and there are columns such as "Description, Cost" the usual, but I also made one named "Type" that is populated with either "Business, Personal," or "Fixed Expenditures".

I would like, then, to make another table that links to the first with three rows. Each one adds the total cost of Business, Personal, and Fixed Expenditures. How can I accomplish this?

I want to divide the expenses into expenses types and create a sum for each type.
    Basically, it categorizes the expenses and puts them in three different totals: one for each "Type" of expense.

2. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Use the SUMIF() function. It will search through the column you choose (Type) for your criteria (Business, Personal, Fixed) and sum the corresponding values, in the column you choose, for the rows that match your criteria.

there's also SUMIFS() if you want to test multiple criteria.

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

4. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Wow, that could not have been much simpler.

Finally, I'd like to easily fill in each cell under "type" as I go. Considering they are all one of only six possible Types, I tried the Pop-Up Menu. This serves the purpose, however I need a faster way to populate these fields, such as typing "Bus" and Auto-Completion extrapolating "Business" from the text I typed and then populating the cell with "Business".