IWork Numbers

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by grannydiane, Feb 28, 2011.

1. grannydiane, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

grannydiane macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been cleaning my Mac recently and all of a sudden I can't access my "numbers" files. I get the message a new version is required to open.
    I did have iwork09 and I still have it on my pages and photos but the numbers indicates 08
    What can I do?
    I've noticed 86 people viewed this post and yet no answer. Am I in the correct forum? What should I do to get this repaired?
    Please help

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You must have saved these files while you had Numbers '09. You won't be able to open them in Numbers '08.

The only things that I can think of is:

A) Send them to a computer with Excel. Save them in Excel. Send them back to your Numbers '08 as Excel files. Save them as Numbers '08 files. This may work.

B) Get Numbers '09 again. This will work.

3. grannydiane thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion but I can't even open the file and now it has spread into all Pages and Keynote. I get a very long message

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It sounds like you have iWork '08 and you had (free trial?) iWork '09. When you had '09, any new file created in '09 and any file created in '08 then opened in '09 then saved will have this problem.

The suggestions that I mentioned above are all that I can come up with. In the first suggestion*, you don't need to open the file in order to attach the file to an email. You could also move the file to an external storage device (hd or thumb drive) in order to move it to a windows/excel/word/powerpoint computer. Better yet, do you use Parallels? with office?

I know how you feel because the same thing happened to me (tried the trial version) and I ended up purchasing iWork '09 to solve my problem. By the way, when I made my purchase of '09, it's not an upgrade so I have '08 and '09 on my computer.

*again, this method may work but I've not tested it. It just sounds logical. The only snag might come if it's a very complex document that doesn't convert from iWork to office to iWork very well.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

But you can't just open a Numbers file in Excel without converting to Excel first, to my knowledge.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Oh ya... Forgot about that. Sorry.