Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
So I'm deciding whether or not I should purchase the iWork apps for the iPhone/iPad, but I wasn't sure how the saved documents are organized using the apps. If you have a lot of saved documents, do you just choose which ones to save to the iPhone? Can you organize the files by folders? Does anyone know how exactly this system will change (if at all) with iCloud?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Right now the iPad/iPhone kind of treats Pages like a Flash drive with no folders.

You can look into 'Pages' using iTunes and it shows the projects you have. You can copy them to and from iOS devices and Macs but they're just copies. You have to keep up with which one is the newest version.

You can use their online iWork service, but it's pretty much the exact same thing...you just copy stuff and have to remember which one is newest.

The iCloud service will, I believe, do a better job at syncing things automatically and wirelessly and making sure you always have the newest version. I don't think (or don't know) anything about folders or directories with iCloud. It may still be a 'everything in one place' kind of thing, although I haven't used it so I can't say for sure.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Right now the iPad/iPhone kind of treats Pages like a Flash drive with no folders.

You can look into 'Pages' using iTunes and it shows the projects you have. You can copy them to and from iOS devices and Macs but they're just copies. You have to keep up with which one is the newest version.

You can use their online iWork service, but it's pretty much the exact same thing...you just copy stuff and have to remember which one is newest.

The iCloud service will, I believe, do a better job at syncing things automatically and wirelessly and making sure you always have the newest version. I don't think (or don't know) anything about folders or directories with iCloud. It may still be a 'everything in one place' kind of thing, although I haven't used it so I can't say for sure.

Thanks. That's kind of what I had seen from my limited experience with those apps. I hope they have a better solution when iCloud is unveiled. Especially considering how they were pushing documents in the cloud. It makes no sense to have a terrible way to organize all of those documents.

stupidm4n

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can organize files into folders within the app the same as on home screen. If you have installed beta ios5 then hold off purchase for now as pages and numbers don't import files to view.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can organize files into folders within the app the same as on home screen. If you have installed beta ios5 then hold off purchase for now as pages and numbers don't import files to view.

Is there a limit as to how many files you can put in a folder? Same limit as the home screen?

stupidm4n

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008

Will have a look now give me 5 minutes

Dimmick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011

^^^This, and I use Dropbox and/or iDisk to transfer files to and from my iPhone and iPad. Both work great to import, iDisk is great to export to directly from the app, but if you don't have MobileMe, you can always email it to yourself.

stupidm4n

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
when you put documents into itunes app tab you still have to copy them from itunes within app you have 4 choices to add document at the moment iTunes iDisk WebDAV or Create Documen. If you create a folder in app then want import into that folder then you open folder then click the + symbol and choose location to import file from

stupidm4n

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
only down side i found is you cant export more than one document at a time into itunes documents folder or to an online service

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.