iWork or MS Office

Guitarius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Louisiana
So. I'm going to pre-order Tiger. As I was surfing around the Apple Store, I got to thinking. I thought "You know, I need an office suite. Neo Office, though good, just doesn't have that 100% compatibility that I need." And I was looking at either iWork or MS Office, and I was wondering what you guys think I should go with. iWork will save me a good deal of money, but since I'm one of three Mac users I know, MS Office may be a safer thing to go with.

What would you all suggest?

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
I'd go with MS Office, if you'er a student, check with your university or college and see if they offer any different pricing. I got Office 2004 for $45 at my uni, as opposed to the $130-150 for the educational box. Do some research on pricing before ya buy.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ditto on the recommend for Office 04, especially since you mentioned compatibility as your main concern. Also ditto on the looking for site-licenses. At my previous school, it was $80, as opposed to the $130 student edition (this was for Office.X around Dec 03). The only caveat is that you probably will not be able to re-sell it, should you ever want to (my cds say "not valid for retail" on them, and something about requiring a separate license).

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I choose the Apple product every time, because I love Apple, but go with Office. iWork is not just there yet, if it ever will be.

deral

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Kahuku, Hawai'i
I use both. I've always been in love with Keynote, so I hardly-never use Pages. I can't stand Microsoft PPT, but can't live without my Mic Word.

Sure, Mic Office seemed the most safest, so get that. But if you have zero-to-no budgeting skills get both.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Keynote is amazing. IMO its a hair above powerpoint. But...iWork is not a word processor. People use it as such, but its really for layouts. Also, there is nothing like excel.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
For word processing go with Office but if you do alot of presentations
get a copy of Keynote it is far superior to PPT , easier to use, and nicer looking. Pages is good for playing with layout after you have typed out the text. I use both Office ( Student Disc. ) and iWork , just depend on what you need it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.